Winton Video March 2006

Started by jimnielsen, March 30, 2006, 10:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

Following from Evan's suggestion - here is a video of one lap of Winton that I took from inside the car on the Saturday Practice after driver training.  The lap time is 1:05.4.  Its encoded at 384kbps.

Its on google video.  here is the link

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8594126682124650757

~jim.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Evan Bottcher

Great video Jim!  Always a great learning experience watching other people's lines on the same track.

One thing that puzzles me - you're on a constant throttle through the sweeper, then you don't get back on the accelerator on the run to Penrite?  Are you carrying that much speed through the sweeper?

Looks great!  Bring on some more video!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

jimnielsen

As you can see from the datashot attached (the blue line).. is is possible for the car to come out of the sweeper faster and then accelerate up to Penrite.  The blue line on the graph that measures speed for the 2nd part of the sweeper (see track pic) is from March 2005.  It shows both an increase in actual speed and and increase in acceleration out of the sweeper.  The others are all from last our last sprint (at least the saturday practice).  The problem is that if I don't go through the first part of the sweeper fast enough then the car is not far enough along its (VERY) narrow powerband to provide any acceleration - even though its pretty much on wide open throttle.  This is what you are seeing on the video.  I was not going as fast, as I had just made a lot of changes to the car and I didn't want to break the thing before the sprint on Sunday. 

jim  :-\
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Evan Bottcher

Is this the data logger that you use Jim?  I was having a gander inside your cockpit at the weekend

http://www.race-technology.com/Site1_UK/acatalog/DL1_Data_Logger.html

Looks like a tidy little box with GPS.  My times are all over the shop - would be fascinating to see where I make up time on one lap and lose it on the next.  Hmm - probably better things to blow my thousands on at the moment though...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

jimnielsen

yep, It is the Race Technology DL-1 - I think they are about $1500... but if you are going to spend thousands it gives you sound information on where to spend your money!

jim.

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Fast Eddie

wicked to watch Jim!  one day i would like to be that car and self confident.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Alfpa Repairs

Monza Motors, (03) 9720 4442
Alfpa Repairs, (03) 9729 9946
4 Malvern Street Bayswater, VIC, 3153

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: jimnielsen on March 30, 2006, 04:36:43 PM
As you can see from the datashot attached (the blue line).. is is possible for the car to come out of the sweeper faster and then accelerate up to Penrite.  The blue line on the graph that measures speed for the 2nd part of the sweeper (see track pic) is from March 2005.  It shows both an increase in actual speed and and increase in acceleration out of the sweeper.  The others are all from last our last sprint (at least the saturday practice).  The problem is that if I don't go through the first part of the sweeper fast enough then the car is not far enough along its (VERY) narrow powerband to provide any acceleration - even though its pretty much on wide open throttle.  This is what you are seeing on the video.  I was not going as fast, as I had just made a lot of changes to the car and I didn't want to break the thing before the sprint on Sunday. 

jim  :-\
Comon Jim - stay on the gas....it's the peddle on the right - press it hard and keep it pressed!!!
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)