75 Daily Driver

Started by alfagtv58, June 18, 2007, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Interesting you bring this up.  After my 'issues' with non-starting last week, Ironsides started up just fine on Saturday, and got us around to do the weekend chores all afternoon.  I parked her for an hour and then was heading out again.  Got 100m up the road and she stopped.  She would occasionally fire again, and then just stop.  I spent hours looking through the AlfaBB looking for ideas, (one of then was contamination in the AFM), then I came across a link to this great site

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm

This is basically a diagnostic/tune-up page for the injection system.  He described my symptoms perfectly, and suggests that 90% of the time it is due to either air leaks or grounding problems.  Check it out, it's quite interesting, and most of the stuff looks pretty easy to check.  Don't tell anyone though, cos' he reckons you can possibly gain 5 horsepower if you go right through the checks!

alfagtv58

Thats the same site where I found the blurb from the double de-clutch thread!!  Many thanks to Simon Bidese for giving me the link in the first place.

I have printed it out and it's on the to-do list.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

mutters

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on November 26, 2007, 04:51:33 PM
Interesting you bring this up.  After my 'issues' with non-starting last week, Ironsides started up just fine on Saturday, and got us around to do the weekend chores all afternoon.  I parked her for an hour and then was heading out again.  Got 100m up the road and she stopped.  She would occasionally fire again, and then just stop. 

Sheldon

Hope you found the problem, but if not, my experience with the same symptoms may help.
After at least 4 sporadic cut outs in a week (2.5 75 ), and desperate juggling of under bonnet leads, I finally found the time to investigate the problem.
It turned out to be the connecter that runs from the distributor to the ECU. The spade connecters must lose their grip over the years. After a bit of tweaking the problem has gone.

Hope this helps.

mutters

Sheldon McIntosh

Thanks for that, one more thing to try, I appreciate it.  I've given up driving her in hot weather.  So haven't been anywhere for a week obviously.

John Toomath

Sheldon,

I'd also suggest you check this connection. It stranded my 2.5 75 at 5am within a few k's of home going to the Winton driver training >:( . The RACV guy stumbled across it poking around a couple of days later.  Luckily I was able to take the 24V GTV instead.  Oh the hardship ! and the squealing, melting Pirellis.  Looking forward to RWD and R types on the 30th  ;D
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

mutters

There's another thread on this under Jetronic Relay.

I've posted there to see if his solution has worked and asked if he could keep us updated.

mutters