75 Daily Driver

Started by alfagtv58, June 18, 2007, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert. Dale

While you have all been talkin about 75 Dailly Drivers.

Mine has just come back from it's third Six Hour Relay (with 2 Drivers). I drove it to work on Friday before taking it home to load on Phills Trailer. (Thanks again Phill) The Car was used by Alan and Myself and was on the track for 2Hrs 24 Minutes

After we got back on monday night we changed the Wheels and tyres, front Brake Pads and removed the Brake Ducts so that I could drive it to work yesterday.

This year with the Modified Brakes we only used one set of front and rear Pads and didn't have any Brake problems during the Race. We feel that now the Front Brakes are struggling and we might change the Calipers to Volve four spots.

Not  bad effort for a nineteen year old Car that has done 244000Klms all that has been done to the motor is a Std Head Re-build by Vin and new rings and bearings with the motor in the Car by some dodgy mechanic. (Me)

It amazes me that some people think that Alfas are unreliable.

Not a bad effort for a dailly driver
Current Alfa
2014 Giulietta Progression TCT

Past Alfas
2013 Mito Progression TCT
1985 GTV 2.00L
2004 147 Selespeed
2000 156 Selespeed88
75TS(Road/Track)
84GTV6
81 GTV (Under 2Lt Sports Sedan Race Car) Should never have sold it
82 Alfetta 2.0 Sedan
83 GTV
74 Alfetta 1.8

Fast Eddie

You and the car did very well indeed Dale.

Nice reminder that you dont have to always spend big bucks to make a decent competition car that is also a daily driver.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

alfagtv58

A great effort indeed Rob, it may be a 19 year old car but it's the preperation that counts.....which you guys do very well.
Volvo calipers is probably a good idea given the 75's reputation for a spongy pedal.

BTW, my fuel consumption, fouling plugs issue has been solved....after some good advise/information from the Bidese boys I checked for air leaks around the spaghetti like rubber hoses for the fuel injection....not exactly sure what I tightened or put back into place, but all of a sudden I am achieving a more respectable 12.5 Litres/100km and not fouling plugs, the car is running great and starting OK.  I think somehow the air flow meter was getting the wrong signal and dumping in waaaay too much fuel.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

scott.venables

That's better economy than I average in my 2.5!  Could it have been your 75 I saw in Wattletree road a couple of Fridays ago? It was red with (I think) 5 spoke wheels. 

Did you get my PM?

Sheldon McIntosh

Yeah that's not too bad Rob, fairly impressive effort.  If you'd actually driven the car to Adelaide and back as well, now that would be really impressive!

Victor Lee

As far as I can remember, only three people have driven their cars to Mallala, competed in the Six Hour and driven home again: this year John Floyd in the Guiletta, and in 2005 Graeme Peake in his GTV6  and Damien Crea in his 105.  All pretty gutsy moves!

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Ray Pignataro

Victor those teams finished 3rd 2nd then 1st. clearly we need to drive our cars over there to win.mmmmm worth thinking about or not.

Victor Lee

Haw haw haw!  I would like to see that!  Ray, Sue (and Ben) in a ROAD REGISTERED black Sud to Adelaide!

I get deaf just driving the yello car to Winton!  (that's from the lack of internal sound insulation, not the muffler or engine for those law enforcement types reading this!).  So our's, Kevin's and Tony's car are road registered; so Ray ... over to you .... it's your idea!   ;D   Actually, the more I think about it, I rather not!  I value my hearing and not getting a numb bum when I arrive!

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Ray Pignataro

Yeah your right Victor. I like you, value my hearing to much, so when my wife says, Are you listening to me?  or are you deaf? I have no whereto go.mmmm alittle hearing loss cant be all bad

Robert. Dale

Sorry Sheldon,
                      Alan an I did consider driving the 75 over to Adelaide but we decided to tow it for two reasons.
Firstly, we couldn't fit all our tools, spare parts and some ten wheels & tyres into the 75 with the two of us and secondly as John Floyd was driving his car we decided that towing was a better option in case either Car broke down.

As my Daughter owns a dedicated Gas Falcon Ute and Phill kindly offered us the use of his Trailer we decided that towing was the way to go and it probably worked out the cheaper option.

We did however drive the Car last years Winton 6 Hr.

Rob Dale
Current Alfa

Past Alfas
1985 GTV 2.00L
2004 147 Selespeed
2000 156 Selespeed88
75TS(Road/Track)
84GTV6
82 Alfetta 2.0 Sedan
83 GTV
74 Alfetta 1.8

Sheldon McIntosh

Yep, pretty gutsy effort driving the racecar there I reckon.  Hope you're taking the trailer next year then, as my car may need a lift home!

Robert. Dale

Hey Sheldon.
                   While we are speaking about 75 Daily Drivers I can't wait until Alan hits the track with the new Mega 75.

Alan has purchased a 3 Ltr 75 without a motor and has had Benincas fit the drive train from his 24 Valve Racecar complete with similar suspension to my 75 but with bigger brakes.

The Car is road registered and according to Alan is scary fast to drive on the road.

For its track debut I feel that we must arrange a four door shootout with Alan, Robin Doherty in the 90 and Jim Neilson in the famed Custard Tart.

We could almost charge admission to see that run.

Rob Dale
Current Alfa

Past Alfas
1985 GTV 2.00L
2004 147 Selespeed
2000 156 Selespeed88
75TS(Road/Track)
84GTV6
82 Alfetta 2.0 Sedan
83 GTV
74 Alfetta 1.8

Sheldon McIntosh

Everyone knows four-doors go faster.

a sharp

Folks plaese remember 2 doors race car, 4 doors taxi!

alfagtv58

I am going to try and get this thread back on topic!!

I have still been getting bad fuel economy combined with fouling plugs and running rough.  But the problem is it has been intermittent.  My suspicion was air flow meter, so I popped in to see Hugh at Monza on Saturday and he was good enough to lend me a spare air flow meter to throw on when the car started to run bad again.

I went to Phillip Island yesterday to watch the Sports Car race and it started running rough as I got to about San Remo.  I parked it at Turn 1 and left it for a while, when I went back to start it she didn't want to go and being so far from home and without tools to change plugs I didn't want to risk it so I threw on the spare air flow meter and she fired up straight away.

When I had a look at the old one, the 'flap' seemed to be difficult to get off its shut position....I am wondering if the servo that operates it didn't have enough grunt to get the flap started and this is why it was using too much fuel and fouling plugs etc???  Dunno, time will tell.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti