250 83 Twin Carb Sud Ti's

Started by DAMO1A, November 04, 2010, 07:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportscar Nut

Sheldon

From memory 4th & 5th gear are higher on the TiQV's than all other Boxer engined Alfas and 5th gear is basically an overdrive gear (hence Mika's advice re gearbox). Even 1.7 injected Boxers have shorter 4th and 5th gears.

Colin's comments re car plans are spot on but would suggest NO for out board brakes. Have driven numerous 33's and whilst IMHO is a similar experience to the Sud, they do not provide the same steering lightness and feel. Centre point rack with in-board brakes makes the steering a highlight of the car! In-board brakes also means they cannot handle too much heat but if car is being used on the road, keep it original as they work fine with good pads & fluid (for racing, you will need out boards).

All the best.

Paul

colcol

Going outboard for brakes is a big expensive job, bleed the system with DOT 4 brake fluid and some appropriate pads and some air ducts should be ok, don't change too much from standard, as you may need a rebuild in central Australia, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sheldon McIntosh

Thanks guys.

This car will not be going on the rally.  If I decide it's worth fixing the rust I'll be keeping it as a weekend toy.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep the inboard brakes for now, I want to see how a standard 'Sud drives.  But since I'll have the engine and 'box out anyway I'll put on some 105hp heads, and maybe look at a shorter gearbox.

There seems to be a good range of second-hand and/or NOS parts still available for these in Europe, which is a nice change from a 90....

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

Plenty of parts for the engines and gearboxes from wreckers here in Australia, the heads will come from a 33 TI, for 105 H.P., for the 95 H.P., they are of a GCL, try and get the carbs off a 105H.P., they are jetted to suit that motor, if you get 95H.P. carbs, you will need to get them rejetted, a good gearbox to get for a twin carb 1.5 Sud is the one off a 33 T.I., 1.5, closer ratios and 5th gear at 60 kph, no problem, the torque developed at higher revs dictated a lower set of ratio's for the T.I., the GCL developed less torque at lower revs, had a slightly higher gearset of ratios, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

On the original twin carb Suds, they had on the back window 'Alfa Romeo 18 world records for endurance', was a sticker that Alfa Romeo had broken 18 world records, whether it was for Alfa Romeo's or cars in general, it wasn't stated, but it sure looked good, until the Australian sun got to it and it peeled it off after about 10 minutes, i noticed on ebay , that there is a company in the UK doing repro stickers for cars from the olden days, saw the Alfa world record stickers, can't remember what site it was, but would be easy to find, and a must for a serious twin carb Sud owner, Colin.

Southern75

I can only think of about 2 in NSW most of uors are the 81/82 single carb ones, mine is earlier than that .. but i only know of one other early series 2 with blue instruments.. shouldn't have made mine a racer ... but it was a little rough to start with
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

colcol

The twin carb Suds are not bringing much money, but i reckon they will go up in price in the next few years, as they have most likely bottomed out price wise, the twin carb was the least prone Sud to rust, as it was the last model, but comparing it to a series 1 or 2, that is nothing to write home about, went to a non Alfa wrecker the other day, and there was a twin carb silver Sud there, very rough, haven't seen a Sud at a wrecking yard for years, Colin.

DAMO1A

Quote from: colcol on August 31, 2012, 08:10:49 PM
On the original twin carb Suds, they had on the back window 'Alfa Romeo 18 world records for endurance', was a sticker that Alfa Romeo had broken 18 world records, whether it was for Alfa Romeo's or cars in general, it wasn't stated, but it sure looked good, until the Australian sun got to it and it peeled it off after about 10 minutes, i noticed on ebay , that there is a company in the UK doing repro stickers for cars from the olden days, saw the Alfa world record stickers, can't remember what site it was, but would be easy to find, and a must for a serious twin carb Sud owner, Colin.

I'm in the sunny UK for a few years (minus my Sud) so I will definitely track down that sticker.  It will make a great 30th birthday present for it next year!
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

colcol

I just purchased mine off ebay in Australia, look up British Motor Corporation, British Leyland, Morris, Austin, Rover Stickers, they do repro stickers that were on the cars built at the time, and they have stickers for Alfa's as well, Colin.

DAMO1A

I managed to track down that  "18 world records" sticker.  I will pick up a couple for my Sud. It looks like a great online shop.

http://www.classiccapsule.com/alfa-romeo-sticker-75-gtv-spider-alfetta-alfasud-gtv6-2171-p.asp

Co-incidentally I live in the same town in the UK as EB Spares, unfortunately they don't seem to carry Alfasud or 33 spares.  I have managed to pick up a few spares for when I return to Oz in 2014.

Looks like a few twin carb Suds have come out of the wood work this year.  It would be good for a few to gather for their 30th birthday next year. 

2015 Giulietta QV TCT

colcol

You could try Peter Webb at Alfasudsonline in the UK, they just do Alfasuds, Sprints and 33's, has a lot of new and used spare parts, don't know their address, because i only email them!, the business is part time, but i ordered parts one Friday night and they turned up the following Wednesday, my twincarb Sud mate up the road uses them all the time, Colin.

DAMO1A

It is possible in the UK to search online for how many of a particular model are currently registered and presumably still on the road (http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=alfasud).  Is there anything like this in Australia?
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

NRMOZ

Just a quick note. As former editor of Chequered Flag and part of the Perrier team; I had wondered where the Perrier Alfasud ended up... I would love to get any further updates... I had tracked down the clone car that was my daily drive but when last found it had been involved in two accidents and was beyond economic repair...

Seems this forum has given me some new passion to go for it ag.qain...
Alfisti

colcol

Twin carb Alfasud, greatest Alfa i have ever driven, just bucket loads of personality, not sure its that practicle for a daily driver, but put it on CLUB REG, and take it for a blast on Sundays, hope you find it, not sure how you track these things down, Colin.