1968 London-Sydney Marathon - Car 39

Started by lightspout, November 02, 2010, 02:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightspout

Hello.

I am researching the 1968 London-Sydney Marathon, and particularly car 39 - an Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina.

The London-Sydney Marathon was a speed and endurance race covering 10,000 miles and ran from London to Bombay (via Tehran and Kabul!), followed by a cruise ship crossing to Perth before a final dash across the Australian Outback to Sydney. 98 cars competed, ranging from thoroughly modern Porsche 911s to a 1930 Bentley Tourer, and entrants combined manufacturer teams (BMC/BL, Ford, Rootes, DAF), commercially sponsored entrants, entrants by the various British Armed Forces, and private entries.

A single Alfa competed as follows:

Car 39 Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina – Driver Stewart Mcleod; Crew C. Lock; Tony Theiler (Entrant sponsored by 'Addison Motors Australia')

Car 39 failed to reach Bombay, retiring between Tehran and Kabul.

I would be very grateful if you or any of the Club Members had any information about this car/crew, their journey and experiences of the marathon, what happened to the cars afterwards, the reason behind car 39's retirement etc. Also, if anyone can point me towards any images of the cars. Finally, I would very much like to make contact with the surviving participants if possible.  If you or Club Members are in contact with anyone and could forward my contact details or facilitate contact, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks in advance!

Pedro69

Hi,

The Alfa Berlina your chasing is now owned by my friend Carl.
Shoot me an e-mail and I'll pass on his details.

peterp@engapp.com.au

Cheers,

Peter P