Koni red and yellow

Started by Fetta GTV, October 29, 2010, 09:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetta GTV

Hi All

After a bit of advice
I am replacing my original front shocks with Koni yellows (cant get new reds anymore)
My rear shocks are Koni reds that I got years ago but have only recently been put on, so are like new.
What are your thoughts on running yellows on the front and reds on the back
I have standard front torsion bars on the front and slightly firmer rear springs
car is lowered slightly in the front, standard height at back

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Cheers
David
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Davidm1600

Hi David, from memory, Max Banks (Alfaholics) recommends such a setup for 105 GTVs, so if so I can't see any reason why this wouln't work with a 116 GTV.  Perhaps someone else may have a differing view.   

The other to think about is, if you are not happy with such a setup, you can always have your Reds upgraded (revalved) to Yellows.  I have previously done this with a set of Reds I had in my 2L Berlina.  Just a thought.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Davidm1750 on October 29, 2010, 12:24:14 PM
Hi David, from memory, Max Banks (Alfaholics) recommends such a setup for 105 GTVs, so if so I can't see any reason why this wouln't work with a 116 GTV.

I don't see the relevance here.  The suspensions are completely different between those cars, so why would you apply that logic?

MD

Funny enough I agree with both points but it doesn't have to be too dramatic if it is just for a road car which is what it seems to be for me.

Essentially both types of dampers should be revalved to match the spring rate for front and rear. Provided this is done then it really isn't going to matter at all.

David, I would not recommend lowering the front on these cars as it reduces the handling potential of this suspension. To do this correctly involves a whole new approach and frankly is only warranted for racing applications.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Fetta GTV

Thanks for the replies

I think I will have them revalved to match the rears, It's just a road car
The car is only very slightly lowered in the front, It was done by Randell Perkins many years ago, sits quite high compared to most I have seen

Paul
Do you have the standard torsion bars on your car?

Cheers
David
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

lfetta

Paul, where is Pace Engineering?

Thanks Nick
1978 Alfetta Sedan Sportiva I
1983 Alfetta Sedan Sportiva II
1979 Fiat 132
1989 75 3L