Battery Transplant

Started by Sam, October 26, 2010, 10:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi I'm about to move my battery from the engine bay to he boot in my Alfetta.

I'm sure I read somewhere on the forums where people have done this, but my searches don't seem to find anything.

I'm not concerned about it the effort as it seems pretty easy, but what I would like advice on is how to secure the battery in the boot.

I can make a custom bracket to anchor the battery, but I was wondering what other folks have done and if there are any recommendations for a particular mounting method or place etc ...

Can you buy mounting brackets off the shelf or do people just make something up ??

Sam

Storm_X

i am doing the samething my self.

i have just bought a batterybox and im going to bolt that to the floor some how. sorry i dont have any pics or anything.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Sam

yeah , I've seen some plastic battery boxes on eBay this evening, but I don't know what they are like.

I thought just bolting the plastic box to the boot floor, but I'm not sure how robust it would be.

The battery weighs a fair bit, over time I'm worried that the box could break free unless the battery is properly fixed down using something other then the box.

One advantage of the plastic box is that any battery acid spills are contained within the box.

where did you get yours from?

Sam

giulia_veloce

Hi guys.

Batterys in boxes
I am presuming you are putting the battery in the boot for race car application.
The battery must be secured in a battery box with a clamp.
The clamp will hold down the box at the same time.
The battery must be held down by a clamp in the box as if there is no box
Maybe a better idea is us an Odyssy jelly battery where no box is required.
Its half the weight of an acid battery.
If its a race car,,why not put the battery inside the car.
The extra length of that Battery Positive cable to the boot,will give a major voltage drop and make the car harder to start.
Cheapest place I found to by a battery box is from Whitworths boating supplies.Maybe BCF have them also.

Message from a Scrutineer

Mat Francis

These things are a real pain to take photos of. Meant to do it last time someone asked but forgot. You will have to use your imagination a bit.

What i have done is bolt the box to the floor, using some right angle section. There is plates underneath the floor, which will be a necessity. If you REALLY need pictures i will get some when i pull the gearbox, but it's pretty self explanatory. Just gotta be careful where you drill your holes, there's a lot of stuff to get in the way under the car.

You will also see that i have just drilled holes to allow for a standard battery clamp to be attached to the right angle. Battery sits snug inside.

Battery is secured to the box, box is secured to the floor. Allow half a day minimum. 
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

AR116

Im planning to do this myself. Thought about using a (+) battery cable from a 164 and cutting to the length i need.
Then soldering some decent battery terminals.
The battery box idea is good as most people go about it this way, I am a bit fussy so thought about making an aluminium
stepup with a box to mount inside the floor of the Giulietta. Then placing the battery box inside the aluminium box. This will make in more secure and prevent the battery from moving. Also I will be using a maintenance free sealed battery, instead of a battery where water levels can be checked.

Storm_X

i payed $20 a meter for the battery cable
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"