shifter issues

Started by BradGTV, October 20, 2010, 05:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

i swapped an 83 engine into my 79 gtv the other day. the swap was pretty straight forward with the engine being un-bolt old one bolt-in new one. i disconected the shifter linkage and shifter to get ascces to take the propshaft out. i marked around the shifter so when i put it back together it would have the same alignment. once the conversion was doen she started up nicley and i went to drive it out the shed, but i had no first gear! only 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 5th reverse! i thought maybe i had put the shifter rod on back to front, but checked and it only goes on one way. i have adjusted the position of the shifter to try and get the correct alignment but still no first or second gear.

has anyone had an issue like this? i have checked over everything at it is all back how it should be. the issue couldnt be internaly in the gbox could it?
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Storm_X

oh mn i just wrote how i done it but for some reason it didnt post so i will make it quick.

1. make sure the arm off the gear box is in the correct spline

or

2. the gear box is in gear and you need to put in back to neutral, put the arm in the correct spline and bolt the gear shifter into neutral gear.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

MD

Turn the crank back one spline (anticlock wise facing the rear of the car)on the gearbox selector shaft and try it again.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

if i remember correctly you only have like 3 -4 splines t0 play around with.

MD

The correct neutral gate position is the natural 3>4alignment which is determined by the box internal preload. This is not however marked in any way on the selector components so you have a trial and error situation to start with. You then need to find this "sweet spot" and the other gears will simply fall into place.

Moving it 3-4 splines would make it way out of pattern. Take it one spline at a time and see.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

BradGTV

hi guys,
thanks for the replies,
the issue was fixed with adjustment of the shifter in the tunnel.
it took 1 hour and 4 guys to fix tho  ;D
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Storm_X

great job on the trck today brad. I see u where just taking it easy

BradGTV

hi chirs,
what time did you get there?
yer, very easy, as it was only my first time ;D

Storm_X

Quote from: BradGTV on October 24, 2010, 10:40:38 AM
hi chirs,
what time did you get there?
yer, very easy, as it was only my first time ;D

um around 3ish i got there when there where loading the fliped 1600 onto the tralier. i had a quick look at your gtv even my mate thought it was nice.