Help! mastercylinder too small?

Started by BradGTV, October 19, 2010, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon90

Interestingly, Volvo recommends bleeding the two pistonc alipers through BOTh bleed nipples, first bottom then top.
There has to be a reason for that.

Regards, Andrew.

BradGTV

hi andrew,
yes, thats what i have done - bleed 2 nipples inbetween pots then bleed the top nipple.
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

bt46

Any air rises to the surface of the fluid.
Both nippels on the rear calipers need to be opened together to prevent the air from moving from side to side.
Not both calipers at once just both nippels on the one caliper.
Always start with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder.

MD

Correct. My description is shit. It doesn't clarify this detail.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

BradGTV

well, i bleed the brakes once more to ensure all air was out, then took for a drive around our workshop carpark. the pedal felt terrible (for my liking) but the car stopped well. so yseterday i took the gtv out to mallala for my first drive around the track, and driving by myself. my first lap stoped short due to a throttle linkage issue ::) so brakes wernt tested to the fullest. but on my second session out the car was fantastic, the pedal felt really good and braking perfromance was unbelibivable (even with standard vovlo pads ;D).  overall it was a great day for me personaly, i only took it easy and just practice a few differnt lines and got to know the car.
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

bt46

Good stuff brad. I miss doing track days.
Did you try locking the pedal down over night?
Make sure you change the fluid before your next track day if you have 'superheated' the brakes.

BradGTV

no i didnt, only because i bleed them the night before and didnt want to have to re-bleed them early in the morning before heading to the track, incase i didnt do it properly and they didnt fully bleed. but the next time i bleed them and have some spare time iam keen to try it.
as i was just learning and only going slowly and most of the time brakeing lightly, is it still recomended to put new fluid in?

bt46

I guess changing the fluid after today is a judjement only you can make.
Usually even at say 80% the brakes will get quite a work out.
Have a look at the pad wear this might give you more indication as to how hard you are using the brakes.
I no nothing about the volvo brakes so some one might be able to shed more light on what wear to expect.
My braking was never my strong point however I always used plenty of pad material, had smoke coming of the brakes at the end of a run and always started to run out of pedal and brakes at the end of the day. That sort of a work out def needed a fluid change and some fresh pads each outing.