Earth Leak

Started by bt46, October 12, 2010, 05:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt46

I would like some suggestions on where to look next for an earth leak on a friends car.
I am using a test light between the negative terminal and the negative battery lead and its glowing off its chop. This leak is draining a new large battery over night if the terminals are left connected.
With the test light in position I have removed all the fuses and even the relays but cannot isolate the circuit. So if the leak is coming from an unfused circuit i'm thinking starter motor. I'm thinking the next thing to do is remove the positive cable from the starter and see if that shows up anything. Are there any other fused circuits on these cars?

Typhoon90

What sort of vehicle? Does it have any sort of alarm, immobiliser, heavy duty stereo etc? I always find teh best thing is to pull ALL the fuses and add them back one at a time whilst measuring current draw.
I built an electric fan controller that I had wired to pwermanent power (to combat hot soak). Of all the things you'd expect to drain a battery, this was not one of them, but it would drain a battery in four days. So, suspect everything I say.

Regards, Andrew.

bt46

Sorry its a 75 ts.
I have gone through the fuse box.
There stereo is fused.
The rest of the wiring is standard.