Wide Band Sensor

Started by Sam, October 12, 2010, 03:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoynter

If you're going to EFI, I suggest you bite the bullet and install a toothed wheel and sensor on the crank pulley. You'll get a nice clean signal with a hall or VR sensor and you'll most likely need it for whichever EFI setup you go for. There are plenty of places online where you can buy the wheels and pickups, you'll just have to figure out a way to mount it. Depending on the application, you might want a cam angle sensor too, but it may be overkill.

I wouldn't go anywhere near the coil! :)

Sam

Hi Spoynter,

yes I agree with you about the toothed wheel, in fact I already have one.

Being a tinkerer (and a scavenger) I went to Pick a Part in Campbellfield a few weeks back and ripped a 36 toothed wheel and sensor from an EL falcon. (They charged me $5 all up)

I also found a couple of Mondeos with the coils and EDIS units in tact, but ran out of time as they were closing.
I went back last week for the coils & EDIS, but they had already crushed the cars and there were no more Mondeos in the place. (they give them to SIMS metal and are crushed after a while).

As for the coil, I got the signal working today.

I emailed  the guy that owns the 14point7 company.
He suggested wiring a 1uf capacitor and 5ohm trim pot into a filter which I did this afternoon.

I fired up the laptop and hooked it up to the unit.
After a couple of minutes fine tuning the trim pot – bingo – perfect.

I now have the RPM in the control unit display matching the cars Tacho.

One thing the Wide Band unit has shown, it just how rich my Webbers are running.
At idle , the car hovers around 10.4  to 11.9 compare that with 14.7 (the most efficient)

Sam