The importance of the 90.

Started by Typhoon90, October 09, 2010, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon90

I know the 90 has very little love from the Alfisti, but I think it was a very important car for Alfa. Ignore the relatively poor sales figures, we know it wasn't the prettiest of cars, nor the cheapest when exported outside Italy. I actually prefer the rear end treatment of the 90 over a 75, but that's personal taste.
What I have learnt working on some parts of my car that most people will never see, is that they are an extremely well made vehicle, very modern in their design and construction with regards steel stamping processes, welding, seam protection, fit and finish, interior design etc. Have a look at the bonded windscreens and the very tight, even gap to the surrounding shetmetal, it puts a lot of modern cars to shame.....a lot of attention went into geting that right. also look at the door gaps and body seams, nice and even, and tight. Look at the bumpers, nice ABS wraparound bars, fastened in a simple, light yet strong way, the way modern cars are done.
 I firmly believe that Alfa NEEDED to build the 90 to develop the modern techniques which went on to give us the 75's and 164's. It really was their "new era" philosophy and I think they deserve at least some respect for that, if nothing else. Yes I know the car was based on a Giuletta platform, but there are a lot of differences.
Yes, they rust in a few places, but I believe a lot of that is poor maintenence, I know for sure on my car, the boot and rear screen rusted out due to a filler neck boot that was left split, which allowed water ingress. Let us not mention the pine needles allowed to collect around the base of the windscreen and behind the tail lights! Not a design flaw as such.
The refinement of the transaxle drivetrain in the 90 is also directly responsible for the 75 mechanicals being so very good and lauded by the motoring press(well, when new!). The 90 really brought together all Alfa's new ideas and techniques into one car.
Anyway, that's my opinion, feel free to discuss!

Regards, Andrew.

Sheldon McIntosh

Nice post, and interesting to hear an opinion on the topic from someone who obviously knows their arse from their elbow.  I'm constantly impressed by the solid 'thunk' a closing door on a 90 provides, and constantly despairing of the crap plastic in the interior which breaks at the slightlest provocation.

I think Alfa hamstrung themselves slightly with the car by introducing it as an under-developed car.  The 90 Super is such an improvement on the original GCL they're almost different cars really, and is really the way the car should have been from day one. 

Quote from: Typhoon90 on October 09, 2010, 11:53:53 PM
Yes I know the car was based on a Giuletta platform, but there are a lot of differences.

The 90 is actually based on the Alfetta, the 75 is based on the Giulietta (which is based on the Alfetta) and shares inner door frames.