2ltr Motor/Gearbox question..

Started by Spider Man, September 30, 2010, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spider Man

Gday again..
One more question are all the 2ltr motors from the same era interchangeable ?
IE: Do the bell houses match up to the same bolt pattern if the motor was a rear gear box the same as the front ones?
Spider Pig- Spider Pig, Does what ever a Spider Pig does..

AikenDrum105

Yep they fit ... There's a bunch of info on converting transaxle nord 2L engines to suit a 105.   (I did one here - shameless plug: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-rebuilding/40326-2l-engine-rebuild-advice-tips-please.html )   but there's a bunch more around.

The bellhousing / gbox will  fit fine,  but ... (quick list from memory)

* Remove crankshaft and have pilot bushing hole drilled (unless v. lucky and find an early engine with one there already)    I have seen this done without removing the crankshaft using a jig and an electric drill - it wasn't pretty - you're swapping the sump / timing cover - may as well pull the crankshaft and have a look at the mains / big ends.)
* fit the 105 sump
* possibly the 105 front timing cover (if yours doesn't have the right machining for the water-pump tacho drive.
* 105 timing gear with tacho drive  (and you *may* need to shorten it's shaft to fit the later 2L block)
* need a 105 water pump with tacho drive
* need a 105 Oil pump
* find a 2L 6 bolt flywheel (unless you've already got one)   
* 2L starter motor to match flywheel ring gear (or muck about swapping ring gears around)
* will need to re-configure your carbs for 2L , or use the ones from the 2L motor.
* I'm sure I've forgotten something....

And you'll love it - the car will be transformed if you didn't have a 2L before..  for a while,  perhaps until spring,  when a young man's fancy turns to Twin Spark engines.....
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Spider Man

I'm looking at this one..
Thanks for that mate I’ll have a good look at all that info..

The situation is I have a rolling shell (alfa spider 1972), no gearbox or motor.
I have the diff and drive shaft.

looks to me like it is from a rear mounted box setup, It is appealing to me as the engine was balanced & blueprinted and has done very little Km's.

AikenDrum105

Yep - that's a transaxle bellhousing.

Which reminds me - you'll need the engine -> bellhousing studs from a 105 motor as well :)  They're longer on the 105.

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Spider Man

ok.. It may be doable, but I think as I'm most likely going to be hitting this motor hard I will try and source the correct motor from the ground up and rebuild it to race spec.
You see its going into the track car (blue one), or I would think about upgrading to a twinspark or a v6.
But then she couldn't run in the classic car division...

Thanks for your help mate...

mario-jnr

yep you forgot to mention you also need the 105's engine mounts and remove the 116's locating dowalls on the rear of the engine before you try to fit it up to a 105 gearbox
if you are keen to do this i have a sump oil pump timming case flywheel and starter for a 2ltr conversion
give me a call if your interested 0412207607 mario

Spider Man

Thanks mate.. yea I think it is going to be to much messing around I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a front cut or a good GT/spider motor