rear hub conversion?

Started by bt46, September 26, 2010, 08:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigi

dehne,
In picture 3 looking at the watts linkage, the lower arm would appear to bind up on the pivot point very early if the de-dion moved left relative to the body. Has this been a problem at all that you know of?
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: prettyboyalfetta on October 08, 2010, 09:36:31 PM
dehne,
In picture 3 looking at the watts linkage, the lower arm would appear to bind up on the pivot point very early if the de-dion moved left relative to the body. Has this been a problem at all that you know of?

Er... what?  Why would the de-dion move to the left (or the right for that matter)?  The whole point of the watts linkage is to locate the de-dion centrally, and keep it there.

Rigi

Correct in that the watts linkage is intended to prevent relative movement between the body and the wheels. It does this by rotating on the centre of the watts linkage, hence why it has bushes or perhaps rose joints (if yours special). If you corner hard enough the lateral force on the tyres will try to push them out from under the car and rotate the watts linkage.

I hope that makes sense
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: prettyboyalfetta on October 08, 2010, 10:25:26 PM
Correct in that the watts linkage is intended to prevent relative movement between the body and the wheels. It does this by rotating on the centre of the watts linkage, hence why it has bushes or perhaps rose joints (if yours special). If you corner hard enough the lateral force on the tyres will try to push them out from under the car and rotate the watts linkage.

I hope that makes sense

Makes absolutely no sense at all.  So what if the Watts link rotates?  That is how it works.  Every time you go over a bump, the centre portion of the Watts link rotates as the de-dion moves up or down.  Does that mean that every time you go over a bump your wheels are moving left or right?  No, because the other end of the two arms are attached to the body.  If the top bolt of the centre piece moves 10mm to the right, the bottom bolt of it moves 10mm to the left, and the centre pin (which actually locates the De-dion) stays exactly where it was (in terms of left to right).

The ONLY side to side movement you will get is due to the deflection in the rubber bushes, and that is bugger all.

MD

dehne.

I must commend you on the solution to keep the springs captive.Excellent. Provided it allows the springs to fully open without dislodgement, it's a simple and great solution.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dehne

the straps are at springs full release (no weight on them) they do the job and have had no probs yet
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

djm411

it would appear to me that prettyboy is concerned that when the watts linkage rotates on the car in the photo, however that may happen either in bump, rebound or when it rotates in order to prevent lateral motion of the de-dion, that if it rotates enough that the arms may bind on the centre pivot point.

If that car is sitting at standard ride hide, the angles of the watts linkage bars are quite steep, a standard car has those arms parallel. dehne have you noticed any difference handling wise with the lowered rear roll centre?

dehne

the car has been lowered as well so it effectivly is in the same angle poss as standard, father inlaw has had his like this for about 6 years plus and never has a prob thats why im doing mine like that to
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

djm411

it looks like hoist that the car is on is only supporting the body, hence the car is therefore at full droop anyway, am I correct?

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past