Finally back in an Alfa - just paid deposit on a new 100th Anniversary GT!!!

Started by The Pelican, September 24, 2010, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pelican

It will be my third Alfa, but my first for 20-years!  Had '70 Alfetta and '82 Sud 5-door but have long lusted after a current V6 GT.  Lease was up and I've found someone who will custom some roofracks for the GT.  I know, it sounds sacrilegious but I need bike racks - I use them three or four times a week!  I can get it done where I can take them off and on pretty easily.  Any how, hopefully I haven't offended everyone... but keen to put an induction kit and exhaust on from the get go - more to enhance the sound than the performance (it already goes well enough!) - just something subtle not loud and annoying.  Any ideas, thoughts, recommendations?  I'm Melbourne based...

Martinsifredi

Hi Pelican :-)

Rgazzon exhaust systems from Italy are very good in Performance and quality. If you are looking at "enhancing" the note and getting a little better flow , I believe REMUS from Autria will do a great job, and not loud.

Another great system is from Supersprint of Italy. These offer max performance and quality, but are on the more sporting exhaust note .

here are 2 links which will help you out .

http://www.carshine.com.au/index.htm?http://www.carshine.com.au/Alfa%20GT%20Styling.htm

http://www.peakrpm.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=90_100&products_id=3316

see you around,

Martin Sifredi
MartinSifredi
Classic and Modern
Concours Automobile Presentation
Ph 0425 735 814

The Pelican

Thanks for that.  Received some conflicting advice as to if the Remus is still available for the GT?  Really don't want anything too loud as will be doing some longish trips and want to avoid any excessive in-car noise.

Just ticked over to having done 1000kms in the car and loving it.  Only noticeable difference to my Renault Megane Sport Cup is probably the available power in lower revs?  Anything I can do to increase this a little?  Your advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Harry

Paul Gulliver

QuoteLease was up and I've found someone who will custom some roofracks for the GT.

Before you go to the trouble of custom roof racks for the bike you ought to give Rick Townley at Roof carrier systems in Camberwell a call, they can do racks for most European cars.

www.roofcarriersystems.com.au/

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

The Pelican

Thanks - tried them and pretty much everyone else. Had to actually use aircraft grade rivets and drill holes in the roof!!! Ahhh, I hear cries of anguish from Alfisti... They work fine and don't take away too much of the good looks.  I use them two or three times a week so it was mandatory.

MOSTRO

Hi Pelican,

I too am an ex-Renault Megane Sport Cup owner driving an Alfa now....and I too did own 4 other Alfa's previously (although a bit more recently than you):

• 2001 147 TS Selespeed
  • 2004 147 GTA
  • 2007 Brera 2.2
  • 1985 Sprint QV

I'm now the proud owner of a Black 156 GTA which is getting some tasty mod's fitted as we speak.

I totally agree on your point regarding the power delivery at lower revs.  But I don't think there is anything in the Alfa range (past or present) that can compete with the Megane Cup.  Out of the box, the Megane CUP was one of the best handling cars available.

The only reason I sold mine was that as well as it drove, it had something missing...as the french say, a certain je ne sais quoi.  The Alfa's interior makes the renault feel low rent.

But....IMO you have to spend thousands of $$$ on a standard Alfa to make it drive and handle as well as the Megane CUP.

Anyhow, welcome to Alfa ownership.  Both my 147 TS Sele and 147 GTA were fitted with Remus Mufflers and I can't praise them enough.  They gave the car a nice deep rumble from outside but never droned or intruded inside.  My only concern for you is that a good friend of mine bought a new GT V6 last year and has been trying to track down a Remus for his car without success.  Aprrantly the manufacturer doesn't make a muffler for your specific vehicle.

In the end, he managed to cut out the center resonator, and change the tips of his muffler to look something like this:

And it sounds amazing.  All up cost him aboiut $250 for all the work and parts

The Pelican

Hey Mostro

Thanks for that info. Do you know who did the work for him?  I'm getting induction kit fitted and v keen on muffler/tips to beef up the beautiful note a little.  Agree on your assessment of the Renault - loved it and it went super well, but the lease was up and couldn't resist going back to something with the class of the GT.

Any how, if you know who did your friends work, be great to know.

Thanks

MOSTRO

Advantage Suspension
4 / 1 Winston Crt, Moorabbin, VIC 3189

Bayside VIC, Southern Melbourne
p: (03) 95552633