105 Bosch distributor advice

Started by Mr Frog, September 30, 2010, 09:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Frog

I am looking for a new distributor, and came across this on the Alfaholics site. I'm no mechanic or auto electrician, and would like to hear members' comments:

Rebuilt Bosch distributor with remapped ignition advance

Fully rebuilt Bosch distributor with a remapped and optimised advance curve. The Bosch distributors fitted to most Alfa Romeo 105 Series cars have proved to be unsuitable for use with modern fuels because the original advance curves set by Bosch were designed for the old 4 star leaded fuel which has a different burn rate to that of modern fuels and was inherently less prone to detonation. As a result, compromises need to be made to the timing and this usually takes the form of reducing the maximum advance at speed in order to avoid dangerous detonation. However, this results in an unfavourable reduction of the idle setting, which causes erratic low speed running and poor starting.

These rebuilt distributors have been recalibrated to make the advance curve more suitable for modern fuels thereby achieving the correct maximum and static ignition advance. They are supplied with best quality new points, rotor arm, cap and condenser and are ready to fit to your car. You can also specify an electronic points system to be fitted at the same time to further enhance the performance of your new distributor.

We supply these distributors with suitable advance curves for either standard, tuned or full race engines of all capacities.

Other units are available on the market with fancy technology but, since they do not actually address the root cause of the problem, i.e. that modern fuels require a different advance curve from those originally used, they cannot achieve the smooth running and excellent driveability of these rebuilt distributors.

These are superb and are fitted to all Alfaholics cars running distributors!

branko.gt

so you don't recognise a sales pitch when you see it ?  ;)

might as well put in electronic ignition. there are some models that look exactly like the original and have no additional boxes.
I think that is a much better idea.

Craig_m67

Just calling it a sales pitch is a bit simplistic isn't it.. Besides as the "guff" :) from Alfaholics describes, you can have their remapped dizzy fitted with either points or an electronic system, best of both worlds, your choice.  The real question is about the value of the map/curve. I've no idea if this is all it's cracked up to be, but Alfaholics certainly has a fantastic reputation with regards preparing 105s for fast road and race.

I should point out(no pun intended) that I've no connection with them and have bought parts from all four major Uk suppliers.. All equally responsive and helpful.  I'm also in no mood for points anymore and considering the Petronix123, original elec Marelli and this.

If anybody has the alfaholics dizzy, please contribute as I'd love to know if it makes a difference.

Craig   
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

mario-jnr

just instaled a 123 ignition distributor total bosch distributor electronic replcement cause i like others am sure are jack of points couldnt of been a beter modification ive done on my 105 jnr,got it from clasic alfa uk,you do need to run at least 8mm h/t spark plug leads.spark is great and timming was almost spot on,just to be on the safe side i replaced the coil to distributor lead with a 9mm new bosch coil and i got a set of bosch platinum+2 spark plugs.very happy two thumbs up

1750GTV

Got to agree with mario-jnr above.
After experimenting with home built electronic ignitions and hall effect devices, I eventually replaced my entire distributor with a 123ignition. Set and forget.
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Mr Frog

thanks, but in the end i've gone for a standard rebuilt bosch.