Help a newbie

Started by Spider Man, September 22, 2010, 03:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spider Man

Hi guys first post from a new member. Was the Alfa Romeo veloce spider available in Australia in 1987 with the 1300 motor, or only with the 2000?
It's just I'm going to buy one and I don't know how to tell what motor is in the car..

This is the car... I have been told the "Junior" 1300 didn't have the plastic headlight covers. But I'm not even sure we got them..

This is what is confusing me

Thanks for your help
Spider Pig- Spider Pig, Does what ever a Spider Pig does..

SimonR

To  my knowledge the Australian delivered cars only had the 1750 and 2000 engines for the "Kamm tail" models as per your photo. In Europe the Kamm tail models also had 1300 and 1600 engines and were called Juniors. The Juniors did not have perspex headlight covers but buyers could possibly have had these fitted later on.

In Australia the 2000 Veloce model stopped in 1976-77, but were available in US & Europe for many years after this though. The picture you have here is not for a 1987 model as they had large ugly rubber bumpers fitted by the 1980's.

If it is a 1300 Junior then I would suggest it is a private import car and was certainly not Australian Dealer delivered.
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

Spider Man

Hey mate that's a big help....
Yea I have lived in Italy a bit and I think this is what is confusing me with the motor size.

It is a RHD so its not from USA or Italy. But yea it could be from the UK.
And your absolutely right.. its a 1975 I don't know why I put 80???
So can you tell by looking at the motor or motor number?
thanks again

Sheldon McIntosh

The engines all have a different symbol on the front of the block, just above the water pump, for identification purposes.  I don't remember what they all are right now, but you can do a google search based on that information.

Balocco

Hi there Simon,and welcome to Alfa Owners Club of Australia. Regarding your car the 1300 Junior Spider,what you can do is send an email to either one of these two email addresses.                        archiviostorico@alfaromeo.com   or centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com,stating the engine number of your car,and the chassis number,and the colour of your car.   The person that handles all enquiries about Alfas is Marco Fazio,at the email addresses I have given you.   Another way to tell if the motor is 1300,is by looking at the front of the engine,and noting that the water pump is mounted very close to the bottom edge of the cylinder head,if it's close then it'a 1300,if there is gap of at least 3 cm,then it could be 1600,1750 or 2000.    I have a book by Luigi Fusi,called Tutte le Alfa Romeo dal 1910, (All Alfa Romeo from 1910)but unfortunately the list of engine numbers and chassiis numbers stops at 1973,so your car will not be mentined,if it's from 1975.   I am sure some others here can help you,but try the email addresses I gave you Cheers Joe.
Present
1971 Giulia Super
1975 2000 GTV Automatic
!975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Past
1967 Giulia Super bollino d'oro
1970 1750 Berlina
1974 Alfetta 1.8 sedan
1986 Alfa 90 2.5

MD

Irrespective of what capacity it is, if it is an ex European car that has spent time on the road in Europe especially a few winters, give it a miss or at least get a proffessional to thoroughly check the coachwork for serious corrosion.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Spider Man

Well I bought it.. I’m still not 100% (99.9) it’s a 2ltr..
It is Aus delivered and is in good shape, most likely had a bingle and replaced with import panels or they have been boged up.. any way I only paid 11G for it..
But worst comes to worst I’ll swap it out for a higher speced (worked) motor in the future..
I have bought Headlight covers, electronic ignition for it and new twin Webbers.. and a few other bits and bobs.. should come up nice..

I’m also in negotiations to buy a second one .. but just going to be a track car only.
Check it out..

Any way .. this is my first Spider in Australia.. (I have one in Italy,) so I think you will be seeing more of me on the forum.. I am a bit of a car nut.. this will be car number 5 ..LOL thank’s for your help guys