Corrosion Awareness Day

Started by Colin Edwards, April 26, 2024, 09:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Edwards

Apologise for the late notice. 
However a work colleague (metallurgist), reminded me Wednesday 24th April was Corrosion Awareness Day.  Very serious stuff.  Apparently corrosion last year had a global economic impact of US$2.5 trillion! 
Can't be all bad news as preventing and dealing with corrosion must employ millions of people. 
Nevertheless, I hope we are all doing something to mitigate the conversion of our beloved cars back to iron oxide.  I regularly check the drain holes of doors and door sills etc.  What are others doing?
This is no joke.  My work colleague is very serious about this issue.  She has no sense of humour when it comes to her profession.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Duk

When is 'Awareness of Electrical Issues' day?
I'm already looking forward to 'The Recognition of Inappropriate Choice of Plastics in Cars' day.
And also 'Pass Me That Brick, I Need To Re-calibrate The Engineer' day.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

bazzbazz

Quote from: Duk on April 27, 2024, 08:41:03 AMAnd also 'Pass Me That Brick, I Need To Re-calibrate The Engineer' day.

HERE! HERE!

"I'll have two big flat rocks and a bag of gravel" . . . . . .
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

MD

Valuable topic Colin especially for older cars that didn't receive appropriate protection during those production years. My experience with Valvoline Techtyl 506 for over 40 years has been a good one. If oxygen is excluded in the oxidisation of iron, no rust is created. This is simply how that stuff works. Protected artillery armaments dumped on Okinawa beach and still works today.

Dukster, you are showing no mercy.  ;D  Two "older" models of Volvo and VW had a propensity of having the plastic falling off the copper conductors particularly in the engine bay where petro-chemical fumes would naturally be present. The plastic insulation having come from oil in the first place was simply breaking down trying to go back home..

Funny enough Alfa during that time never had the insulation breakdown issues but they didn't understand current distribution loads and that the ignition switch was not the only gate for electron flow.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0