There is an Alfa 75 in this vid...in the way!

Started by ProvaRacing, September 21, 2010, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvaRacing

You will see the advantages of RWD transaxle in this Alfa 75 IMSA (296hp) vs FWD 147 GTA Cup car (thats a 4cyl 219hp)... ::)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: ProvaRacing on September 21, 2010, 04:26:25 PM
You will see the advantages of RWD transaxle

Yes, not looking like a girl in a front-wheel-drive.  That's what I keep telling myself every time Frank Musco passes me anyway.

Excellent video, I love that stealth 75.

Brad M

You will see the advantages of RWD transaxle in this Alfa 75 IMSA (296hp) vs FWD 147 GTA Cup car (thats a 4cyl 219hp)... ::)

Is the advantage the the drive type? or the power difference?
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Brad Marshall on September 21, 2010, 07:03:01 PM

I think it was a somewhat sarcastic comment, given the post title and the amount of tailgating the 147 is doing....

I love the big dive over the infield, about half a lap before it looks like he backs off over the finish line to let the 75 win!  Crazy Dutchmen...

L4OMEO

Bet the guy in the 147 is thinking 'Gee if only I had a RWD transaxle I'd waste this sucker'  ;)

'scuse my ignorance, what's a 75 IMSA running - is that the 1.8 turbo? Looks good doesn't it.

Great vid ProvaRacing!
2002 156 GTA

ProvaRacing

Quote from: Brad Marshall on September 21, 2010, 07:03:01 PM

Jekyll and Hyde got it in one...I thought the rolling eyes emoticon was a giveaway too ::)
Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on September 21, 2010, 07:08:47 PM
I think it was a somewhat sarcastic comment, given the post title and the amount of tailgating the 147 is doing....

Also this statement from almost a year ago shows where I stand on "racing setup" RWD vs FWD...
Quote from: ProvaRacing on October 19, 2009, 06:33:34 PM
I will take some liberty to suggest if Orazio Satta (whose quote still appears on the new car brochures) if he were alive, would have been proud of the 155 domination of the 1995 BTCC (incl. over RWD BMW) as any previous Alfa Romeo victory, perhaps more so due to the effort to prove the first FWD Alfa could match nay beat the rest.

So Brad I'm all for FWD handling before, in this case RWD with massive power advantage...pity the finish lines are almost entirely on straights and not corners! LOL

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on September 21, 2010, 05:56:48 PM

Excellent video, I love that stealth 75.

Yes stealth look is nice...but a bit hard avoiding detection when you have 147 2.0TS GTA CUP car up your tail LOL

JOHN G

FWD was made for people who cannot afford RWD.

John
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

ProvaRacing

Quote from: JOHN G on September 22, 2010, 12:11:27 PM

FWD was made for people who cannot afford RWD.

John
Just as condoms were made for people that can't afford children...but they too have other very relevant benefits.

In the case of FWD it's space, crumple area, weight, speed etc  ;D

Anthony Miller

Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

MD

I am basing my opinion entirely on the 75 being boosted and the GTA being naturally aspirated. It's a pretty well know fact that NA engined cars can climb all over boosted cars in the corners as boosted cars need to come on boost. This is what appears to be happening here as the 75 easily moves away once on boost as you would expect with more power. Other factors of driver competence are also at play here. In some cases the 75 seems to braking way too early and too long so what the issue there is I cannot say as it is easy to say that if you dont know the circumstances.

I certainly think the GTA driver is making good use of what he (she) has got no question about it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

L4OMEO

Could also be that a good FWD set-up can be made to work quite well?

Nah, you're right. Better to point to deficiencies with this particular 75 and/or its driver than admit that!

Just kidding MD, fair points  :-*
2002 156 GTA

MD

..er well worn but comes in handy for situations like these :

Never give in and never say die.. :)

I am actually basing my observations on racing I have seen involving MX5's series racing. Same cars, same mass, same brakes, same same except for NA or boosted and guess what. Na cars can and do clean up boosted ones depending on tracks. Maybe Jim may have an opinion about this given that he has drive both types including Na's and boosted but from what I have read that he has said, its cars for courses like horses for courses.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

L4OMEO

Sorry Mike, could have sworn I agreed with the points you made but feel free to keep arguing! Anything to avoid admitting the unadmittable ...

Sorry, that's not really a word is it  ::)

Seriously mate, I agree with the points you make.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

Sheldon McIntosh

FWD v RWD will always create a mass debate won't it?  Even the most ardent RWD fan who has seen Frank Musco up close in his Sprint will be well aware of how devastatingly effective a well-sorted FWD can be.

This video is summed up well by the footage between 8.47 and 8.55

Brad M

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on September 22, 2010, 08:25:28 PM
FWD v RWD will always create a mass debate won't it?

;D  Fantastic stuff, love the respectful debate ...  a nice change from some past exchanges.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067