Introducing myself.

Started by duncombemu, May 26, 2007, 12:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncombemu

I'm new to Alfas. This is how I got started and it all happened by chance.

Here is my story (so far).

I was up at our local garbage centre and I noticed out the back, where all the old car bodies wait until the crusher arrives, to scratch some duco and do some damage. There, just sitting next to an old and very second hand Falcon, was a Red Alfa 33. I wandered over to take a closer look and to my surprise, not a dent or scratch on it. Even inside was clean and tidy. The key was still in the ignition.  ???The only problem, it had no wheels.

So I came home and grabbed some 4 X 100's, to fix the 'lack of height' problem. I now know that 33's wear 4 X 98's. Anyway, these 100's were close enough to get her home. The fellow minding the place didn't even mind me taking the car home and gave it to me for nothing. "Take it away!" :-X

A friend and I went around and bolted the wheels on (only two wheel bolts per wheel) and towed it home.

The next day I stuck a battery in it, crossed my fingers and turned the key, expecting nothing. Like, why would I expect this car to start, if I found it on the tip? Well, to my surprise it spluttered into life, if only briefly. When I found the Choke knob, in that tricky place under the steering wheel, I pulled it out, a few pumps on the accelerator pedal and turned the key again.  Away she went spluttering and coughing, as she rattled into life.  :PWow! So now will she move under her own steam?

Into first gear and let the clutch out. She moved forward. Into reverse and she went back. But she was only running on 3 cylinders and wouldn't idle.

So I started to see if anything else around me, worked. To my amazement, everything worked fine. Even the radio/cassette worked fine and the electric windows were good too. There was even ¾ of a tank of Petrol in the tank. I'm 'in front' already. ;D

I also restore VW's. At the moment, I'm restoring a 1960 Karmann Ghia and I have around 8 or so, Beetles sitting around the place too. I mention this, because it will make sense, later in this story.

So I changed the high-tension lead on number 3 cylinder with a new one, because when I pulled the spark plug, it had never had a spark ever. It was still new and shiny. It was still running on 3 cylinders, with the new lead. So I looked inside the distributor cap and it was cracked, had White dust in it and the contacts were all corroded. A real mess.

I looked at this cap and thought, "I wonder if a Beetle cap would fit?" So I got one from my collection in the shed and 'Bugger me', if it fitted. I changed over all the leads and clipped it back on the distributor. I started the car and it 'purred like a kitten', but still wouldn't idle.

Now me not being a car wiz, I knew that much, that if a car won't idle, then you can start with maybe there's a vacuum leak. I saw that the hose that runs from the intake manifold to the brake booster was very soft and rubbery. I felt underneath and it had big hole in it, so I thought I'd start there.

I found a good clean heater hose on an old Toyota Corolla; I had at the rear of my workshop, put it on and she ran beautifully and idled like it should. Perfect!  ;DNow why would anyone throw away a car that just needed a few bits and pieces here and there, to get it going? I really don't know! ???

Anyway, it drives very well, but there are a few things that I need to get her on the road again and I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Of course, I need at least four 4 X 98 PCD wheels, with no tyres. I also need front brake discs and the callipers. Can anyone help me with these parts?

E-mail me if you can help. mark@emuproducts.com.au Sorry about this long introduction, with my ramblings, but I thought some of you might like to see how I got involved with Alfas. ::)

Regards,
Mark A
Swansea Tasmania
Never believe it, when someone says, "It can't be done." It's amazing what can be achieved, when someone says that.

Fast Eddie

well done Simon. What a find and what a great story!

I note you are in Tassie, which means we cant coerce you into joining the Vic club but there is a Tassie chapter of sorts so wil try to get some contact details for you.  Someone else reading this may know these details and can advise?

If you are looking for standard 33 rims (4 x 98) 14 x 5.5 and standard discs and calipers we might be able to help you as a handful of us here have suds n sprints so pool any stuff we have taken off as we mod our cars for the track.

Failing that, try - Milano spares 9462 2138, Italian Job - 9569 7779 or Monza - 9720 4442 in no particular order as they will all have 33 bits. 

Good luck and nejoy

Edward
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

duncombemu

Edward,

Thanks for your reply to my last post.

Yes, I'd like some contact details in Tassie.

Also, please have an ask around your associates and see what they've got in the way of rims and brake parts. That'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mark
Swansea Tas.
Never believe it, when someone says, "It can't be done." It's amazing what can be achieved, when someone says that.