Can you recommend me a Brisbane (or surrounds) Body shop

Started by Craig_m67, August 31, 2010, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

I just bought my Duetto back from the nice fella I sold it to a few years ago when we went OS, very happy.  A fast two day sprint back from Melbourne last week, she ran like clockwork (howls above 4K).  He really sorted out the mechanicals – thanks Scott :)

It is however, time to go back to bare metal and sort her out for the next 45 years or so.  Without removing the paint it's obvious she needs a new nose (which we have), a rear wheel arch and the boot re-skinned.  The sills and floors were done in early 80's by the previous owner but I think I will get them all redone properly they look a bit 'tacked' on.  I'd really like a shop that can put her on an aligner and check all the measurements, as I suspect she was lightly shunted in the rear in a previous life giving rise to the wheel arch and boot skin issue.

So, can anybody recommend a body shop in around Brisbane for this sort of work – or indeed parts thereof, ie. a particular good experience with a painter etc.  I'm happy to project manage the work and or get my hands dirty where it might save money (although with bodywork it invariably doesn't and the painters like to do their own prep).  I've been out and had a chat to Chris Lucas (Bowen Hills), nice bloke and he obviously knows his (105 spider) stuff. 

I'd be interested in your experiences (anywhere) around Brisbane.

I'm still undecided about the final colour, I never really like AR514 (Farina red) mind you I've never seen a version that wasn't faded to buggery.  I really like the dark metallic grey – but my son(3) will kill me if it's not red.

As mentioned the car is mechanically tight, has a fresh 2litre and the g'box recently gone through.  I want to update the suspension although she feels quite tight - Its' been a while since i've driven her, and besides, i'm concentrating my efforts on the body first up.

Any and all comments welcome, how many spiders do we have in Brisbane?

Craig

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

hammer

Craig,

Give Paul Young at Sunshine Auto Electrical a call. He is a very active club member (racer/restorer) and has recently restored a gorgeous blue duetto. Youngie has a panel shop he regularly uses and can fill you in on the details. Call Paul on 07 5524 4885.

Cheers,

Brent

madram

2 litre Duetto? gasp! Sacrilege :) If you pockets are deep enough in Brisbane, then CL Motors at Albion have been known to do an excellent job. My Kammtail was given a body restoration by her previous owner at, of all places, Platypus Creek Paint & Panel (Enoggera). Good job for the price paid ($6k) - including sills. Club Member Laurie Jones had extensive bodywork done on his Kammtail after his African Rally jaunt - don't know if he needed any chassis straightening, tho.
Madram [AROCA-Qld Webmaster]

Current: 1972 2L Spider Veloce
Former: 1988 Alfa 75 2.5L Auto (x2)
            1987 Alfa 33 1.5L Super
            1978 Alfasud Ti

ItalCarGuy

You could talk to Adrian at impact paint & panel on Lucy st moorooka, great quality and has an awesome booth. He is very good. My super is there at the moment