Heaviest Front Spring Rates For a Road Going V6 75

Started by Duk, August 25, 2010, 02:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Would you be able to post pics of your front set-up at some stage, I'm intrigued to see how it all goes together.

Duk

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on August 30, 2010, 08:41:25 PM
Would you be able to post pics of your front set-up at some stage, I'm intrigued to see how it all goes together.

I'm planning to change the way it currently is, so when I get the new parts and make/modify bits and pieces I'll add some photo's.
Hopefully the rear springs work out. The adjustable spring seats look to be the same as those sold by Andy at Performatek (but at half the cost  ;)) and the springs are 5" diameter, but I guessed at spring length (there were a few available), so hopefully I'm close.

BTW, what's a good site to use to reduce the size of photo's so I can post them ???

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Duk on August 30, 2010, 08:59:18 PM
BTW, what's a good site to use to reduce the size of photo's so I can post them ???

I do mine in Photoshop, but you can do it in Microsoft Office Picture Manager also.  There's an 'edit' button up the top, from there you can resize.  600-640 pixels wide is a good size for this forum, in my experience.  If you're on a Mac, sorry I've got no idea.

MD

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Duk

Although I still need to modify the top control arms more and make some plastic spring bushes for the rear, this is where I'm at at the moment. The rear spring seats had their lower flanges machined down to 100mm from 134mm (5.25") and will be welded to the original spring seats.

Duk

More photo's.
The spherical bearing part number: SKF GEH 25 ES-2RS. It's the 'heavy duty' version of those dimensions.

AR116

QuoteThe spherical bearing part number: SKF GEH 25 ES-2RS. It's the 'heavy duty' version of those dimensions.

Just wondering where you bought the spherical bearing from?

Duk

Quote from: AR116 on September 26, 2010, 09:58:57 PMJust wondering where you bought the spherical bearing from?

Local independent bearing supplier, but I'm sure someone like CBC or SKF (duh  :P) could supply. It cost about $25 from memory.

AR116

$25 is an extremely good price. Just wanted to confirm, you are replacing the dedion bush with this
spherical bearing type. Am I correct?

Duk

Quote from: AR116 on September 27, 2010, 02:33:12 PM
$25 is an extremely good price. Just wanted to confirm, you are replacing the dedion bush with this
spherical bearing type. Am I correct?

Yep, but I am yet to try it. The bearing part number I got from GTV6.com, so I figured the guy who posted it had used it. The load rating is quite large (plenty large enough for the push from acceleration and pull from braking) and I tested the articulation of the Dedion frame and it never bound at any reasonable travel, from full drop to plenty of bump (my car doesn't have bump stops at the rear).

AR116

I be interested in hearing about your results when you install the spherical bearing.
Keep us up-to-date if you don't mind!!

scott.venables

Is this a direct fit or have you made up a sleeve?

Thanks, Scott

Duk

Quote from: scott.venables on September 27, 2010, 05:20:55 PM
Is this a direct fit or have you made up a sleeve?

Thanks, Scott

I take it you're also talking about the Dedion pivot bearing?
If you are, then I made the 3 pieces and bought the bearing.
I had done a 'mud map' (but with full dimension  ;)) drawing, but I recon I threw it out accidentally  :-[.

Darryl

Quote from: Duk on September 27, 2010, 06:39:13 PM
I made the 3 pieces and bought the bearing.
I had done a 'mud map' (but with full dimension  ;)) drawing, but I recon I threw it out accidentally  :-[.

Bugger... I was hoping you might be taking orders :)

Duk

I temporarily put the car back on the floor with the new front springs in, and did the 'ol bounce test'. Wow, what difference in stiffness compared to standard  8). But I suppose when your new spring rates are 2.5 times the standard rate, you're gunna get that  ;).