G'day all ...

Started by Ian Howlett, April 26, 2007, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Howlett

G'day all,

Thought it was about time I registed for the online version of the club ...

I've been a member for quite a while but haven't owned an Alfa for a couple of years now since selling my Alfa 75.  Hopefully this situation might change later this year when my wife gives back her company car & reclaims our Subaru that I'm currently driving.  I will of course then need to get some suitable "replacement transport" and Alfas are on the appoved list  ;D

Haven't decided on exactly what I want yet, but 156's are likely to be strong contenders...

Cheers - Ian.
Current Alfa - 2020 Giulia Sport in Vesuvio Grey

Previous Alfas:
1987 Alfa 75 2.5L V6
1979 Alfetta 2L sedan
1974 Alfetta 1.8L sedan

Scott Farquharson

Welcome online Ian.  156's are good buying right now, just watch the cam belt changes and make sure any pre 2000 model has had the selespeed pump/acuator updated.

They are a great daily driver, good on juice and loads of fun on the run to and from work.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Ian Howlett

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tips ... I checked out a few 156's over the weekend but so far I'm not sure they're quite what I'll need when it comes time to change over cars.  Definitely a nice drive but felt a little smaller than I expected plus I found myself still yearning for the sound & torque of my old V6 (minus the "issues" you get with an ageing car of course!).  Maybe I'm just a sucker for the "old" rear wheel drive Alfas after all ... so perhaps my next Alfa is destined to be a restorer instead?

I'll just need to get the garage cleaned up first (and that could take a while ...  ::))

Cheers - Ian
Current Alfa - 2020 Giulia Sport in Vesuvio Grey

Previous Alfas:
1987 Alfa 75 2.5L V6
1979 Alfetta 2L sedan
1974 Alfetta 1.8L sedan

Scott Farquharson

I hear ya, Ian.  Alas, they are a modern front drive car, albeit one with a bit of soul, but no substitute for the real thing, ie. multi cam V6/8/12 and rear drive.

Good luck with finding a resto project.

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)