Light Weight Clutch Disc

Started by Duk, August 27, 2010, 07:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

Referring to Richard Jemmison's site http://scuderiagiallo.com/How_to_do_it.htm
"From many years of experience both racing and in building the close ratio gearboxes & transaxles, the lighter the clutch disk the easier it is for the transmission's synchronizers to function. Their large diameter & heavy weight causes the most inertia that the synchros have to slow down or speed up with EVERY SHIFT! By using a lightweight disk with no wafer springs or torque springs shifting is crisp & quick."

Has anybody applied this method of thinking to their road going transaxle Alfa?

Can somebody confirm the clutch spline specs for me, I'm counting 19 splines and a guessed (I used a tape measure  ::)) measurement of 13/16".

http://www.10000rpm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=67 list an 8.5" clutch (you can buy the disc separately for $189US or $249US with Kevlar facing) that looks to use a nice solid, light weight clutch disc.

Thoughts?

jimnielsen

Duk - Here is a picture of one that I had made up for my Giulietta (now owned by the Hammer).  I think most people who are really serious about a racing alfa probably have something similar. This one is a 5 1/2" twin plate clutch using sinitered metal faces made by PowerTrain technology. The spline center, shaft, thrust bearing and 'flywheel' were made by John Barbieri at Alloy Race Components.  You could use this exact system in a road going Alfa as long as you used organic faced clutch disks. These sort of clutches are a LOT lighter than the stock variety. They are quite expensive, also, parallel parking could be an issue...
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Duk

Thanks Jim, that's some sexy stuff there  ;D. A lot more extreme than I plan tho, I'm only looking to use a light weight, solid center clutch disc and let the guibo's help to take up any initial shock.