Mild tuning for TS engine

Started by GTVeloce, August 03, 2010, 11:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Guys,
I have recently installed a TS engine into my 116 GTV. Very happy with the installation but I feel I am down a little on power. I have rebuilt the engine (to original spec) and so know the internals are in good order. Only modifications so far are better filter and decat. I am running the standard Motronic computer and have fitted a lambda sensor as per original. What I am looking for is just suggestions on massaging the a little more from the engine. i.e. best plug choice, should I change the injectors, is the computer up to it, etc. Don't want to mess with the internals if I can help it. BTW the car is only for fast street use - not track.
Thanks

GTVeloce

Oh, and also not sure how best to wire the fuel quality plug as I have an O2 sensor but no cat. Generally run it on premium (95 RON).

Paul Gulliver

I'm not sure where you are but do yourself a favour and save a lot of time and effort . Take you car down to Beninca's in Surrey Hills and get them to put it on their dyno. For a couple of hundred bucks you will maximize your engine performance. A standard 2L Twin spark should be 120 rwhp.

The only real adjustments are fuel mix & air flow meter.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Paul Gulliver

Bump ( sorry chowderboy).

Has anyone had experince with these people

http://squadra-tuning.nl/EN/En_index.htm

I have emailed them but never got a reply.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

GTVeloce

Thanks Pauls. Going to take it to Beninca's as they are close by and well regarded. When you say chuck the fuel plug (I just have a wire going between two pins) do you mean just remove my wire and leave it bare? Clean injectors - is a fuel additive sufficient? Um, what exactly is the Rota buttons? If you are just referring to the rotor I can't seem to remove either of them (I'm assuming they are fixed) but have cleaned them as best as possible. The plugs are standard TS but just cleaned old ones and the leads are brand new.
Cheers

Anthony Miller

The club is having a dyno day at Benincas on the 28th of August, you can check your output for $40
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Duk

Quote from: GTVeloce on August 03, 2010, 11:21:45 AM
Guys,
I have recently installed a TS engine into my 116 GTV. Very happy with the installation but I feel I am down a little on power. I have rebuilt the engine (to original spec) and so know the internals are in good order. Only modifications so far are better filter and decat. I am running the standard Motronic computer and have fitted a lambda sensor as per original. What I am looking for is just suggestions on massaging the a little more from the engine. i.e. best plug choice, should I change the injectors, is the computer up to it, etc. Don't want to mess with the internals if I can help it. BTW the car is only for fast street use - not track.
Thanks

You can't change the injectors for anything other than ones with the same flow and impedance. The standard set up probably over fuels to begin with, but the only way to check is with a wide band air/fuel ratio meter.
Throw any pod filters in the bin and fit a decent air filter box and filter from something big and common (Commodore or Falcon would be a good start) with a cold air intake that gets it's feed from a high pressure area.
Make sure that the air flow meter has a nice flared or radiused entry into it that is free of steps. Most filter adapters for vane AFM's have big steps because they are cheep rubbish.
K&N air filters and the like are not required and let more dirt/dust thru with all of that 'extra flow' that you probably didn't actually get (most factory filter elements aren't the massive flow restriction that K&N and the like make them out to be).
A well made set of extractors would be the next step. After that it get real expensive real fast......

GTVeloce

Thanks all. I will let you know how I go after some changes and after Benincas has a go. If anyone wants help with other aspects of this installation (i.e. I have managed to install both fuel pumps and a fuel guage as well as air-con etc.) or with the transaxle install, let me know.
Cheers

GTVeloce

Guys, the car is back from Beninca's. They managed to get it up to 107HP at the rears and 154Nm. He also mentioned the pod as a waste of time (pity, cos it looks better). The only problem I have is fitting the original could be difficult with space. I will have to move the coils which isn't a real problem but I'm still not confident it will fit with the A/C compressor in place. Also, it has begun 'hunting' badly. It used to do it only with the A/C on, but now it is happening regularly. Sometimes it will do it 20 times plus before settling into a regular idle. Has anyone discovered the best way of fixing this?
Cheers