Tow bar for 166

Started by fognozzle, July 25, 2010, 05:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fognozzle

I've got my 166, but now the missus wants to transport her bike on the bike rack. Where is a good place for tow bars? Is the 166 bar the same as the 156? Any help would be most welcome, and I'll share the brownie points with you.

Fognozzle

Paul Gulliver

You ought to consider some of the bike carrier systems. A lot less hassle and probably cheaper especially if you only want to carry the bike not tow anything

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/thule-freeway-bike-carrier-ba968.html

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

Doesn't answer your question on tow bar but.................

I prefer and got the Thule ProRider 591 roof carrier for my 156 if carrying more than one bike.  For one bike, it goes into the boot, safest way to carry a $7000 bike!!!

Don't like the one Paul pointed out, they hang off the boot lid via hooks which I think will do damage to the panel and chip paint eventually.

Also that carrier and a tow bar carrier uses your bike as a rear bumper bar.  That said, our other car we still use a tow bar bike carrier if carrying more than one bike.  Not suitable for carbon fibre frames.

Neil

fognozzle

Thanks but we had just purchased a three bike rack with velcro that we really like. I will have a chat to the towbar people and see if they can frighten me away.

Fognozzle

wankski

neil, how do you fit a carbon road bike in the boot of a 156?

i need at least 1m x .8m for my frame - wheels off obviously...

if only the 156 sedan had fold down seats...

Neil Choi

I too only wish the 156 had fold down rear seats, that would just make my 156 more liveable with (other than the 10 point U turns).

I have a medium Giant compact frame with ISP (ISP makes it a little more difficult), that's why it fits.  I think it is the compact frame which helps, I haven't tried my conventional Ti frame as yet.

Yes, wheels off obviously.  A rather methodical way of putting in the bike, crankside up with arm pointing forward.  Slide in with rear derailleur against right rear of boot.  Handle bars and fork turned to right of bike and forks sits against left wheel arch area.  Handlebars and shifters now point skywards and boot closes nicely.  Wheels sit on top over blanket.

I can take a picture for you one day, but you will get the idea.

Neil

wankski

cool that's great... i'm on a 56cm conventional frame, and the ability to carry my roadie to races up near mt beauty internally in an alfa is essential (some great twisties up there)

i was enamored by the 147s capacity to do so, but have always liked the late 156s more...

we'll see