v6 conversion

Started by BradGTV, August 05, 2010, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

if this has already been covered on the forum forgive me :), but..
when putting a 164 v6 into a 2ltr gtv.
if i did this conversion i would keep the standard transalxe but im wondering what tailshaft to use? v6 or 4cyl?
does the 4cyl rear mount/bellhousing bolt onto the 164 enigne?
starter?
flywheel?
im just enquiring what would need to be done if i went down this path ;)
cheers, brad

79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Mat Francis

Can't add much technical advice, other than to say, don't do it.
Even just with the standard twinspark, the ratios are too short and the wheelspin damn near uncontrollable (in the wet anyway).

Definitely throw a V6 in  ;D, but if you're going to that much trouble, you would be silly not to put a TS box or something similar in.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Mat Francis on August 05, 2010, 08:22:27 PM
Can't add much technical advice, other than to say, don't do it.
Even just with the standard twinspark, the ratios are too short and the wheelspin damn near uncontrollable (in the wet anyway).

Definitely throw a V6 in  ;D, but if you're going to that much trouble, you would be silly not to put a TS box or something similar in.

So don't use first gear?  Although, come to think of it, the inside wheel spinning madly every time you turn into a street in 2nd got old pretty fast with the 4 cyl box....

Quote from: BradGTV on August 05, 2010, 06:36:02 PM
if this has already been covered on the forum forgive me :), but..
when putting a 164 v6 into a 2ltr gtv.
if i did this conversion i would keep the standard transalxe but im wondering what tailshaft to use? v6 or 4cyl?
does the 4cyl rear mount/bellhousing bolt onto the 164 enigne?
starter?
flywheel?
im just enquiring what would need to be done if i went down this path ;)
cheers, brad

In all honesty, assuming your gtv is in reasonable nick, you'd be better off selling it, buying a GTV6 and then fitting the 3 litre to that.  There are a number of parts which need to be swapped between the GTV6 motor and the 164 motor.

Rear housing, starter, sump, flywheel, tailshaft - all need to be GTV6 or V6 75.  Engine mount positions on the body are different between 4 and 6, requiring modifications either to the body or the mount itself.  Forget fitting a 90 tailshaft into a GTV4, the front donut is too big to jam through the tunnel (been there, tried that).  Need the removable front yoke type shaft.

The little things go on and on.

I have done this conversion, and if it was written off completely tomorrow, and I had to start again from scratch, I'd buy a GTV6.  Just too many little bits and pieces you need to find otherwise.

BradGTV

thanks for the help guys,
i was only wondering what was envolved. as it could be a possibility for the future.
a lsd is definatly on the to-do list ;)
but as you say, its not worth it, without buying a gtv6 and going from there.
storm - is the ts in adelaide?

79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Storm_X

Quote from: BradGTV on August 05, 2010, 09:50:03 PM
thanks for the help guys,
i was only wondering what was envolved. as it could be a possibility for the future.
a lsd is definatly on the to-do list ;)
but as you say, its not worth it, without buying a gtv6 and going from there.
storm - is the ts in adelaide?

Brad depending how serious and motivated you are it could be done. Also depending on if it was a street car or a heavily modified track car.

Your dad is a sheet metal fabricator he could modify the tunnel to suit the v6 tail shaft or even make a whole new one. And the engine mounts shouldn't be a hard job for him to do. But I am unsure about most of it as I haven't tried it before.

the TS engine not in adelaide yet. It all depens if i decide to buy a new car it comes with spare parts.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

BradGTV

thanks for the help storm.
yes he is very handy with the sheet metal and cars in general! ;D
the thing is i didnt have a direction with my track car project. i didnt know what i wanted ::)
turbo,supercharged, sr20det, or 3ltr v6.
so i have been looking into the options.
but i have decided to go with fuel injected nord motor 8).
and then add the supercharger when i save up some more money...
cheers, brad

bt46

brad you can make adaptor plates for the v6 engine mounts or just use 2lt mounts on the v6
the tailshaft tunnel can be stretched open with a porta power so the larger donuts fit but you will need to make up a new rear engine mount. You also need to open the rear.
Its a big job but none of it is all that hard just time consuming.
The suggestion to get an old 90 for the running gear is a good one.

Storm_X

Quote from: BradGTV on August 06, 2010, 04:34:17 PM
thanks for the help storm.
yes he is very handy with the sheet metal and cars in general! ;D
the thing is i didnt have a direction with my track car project. i didnt know what i wanted ::)
turbo,supercharged, sr20det, or 3ltr v6.
so i have been looking into the options.
but i have decided to go with fuel injected nord motor 8).
and then add the supercharger when i save up some more money...
cheers, brad

just start with what you have a work from there.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

dehne

i have the complete engine,tailshalft,gearbox for a 90 if ur interested
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

BradGTV

is it a 3ltr? if it is...
is the gearbox the same as a 75 3ltr gearbox?

dehne

if it was a 3ltr and a lsd box they would be in the race car, its a 2.5 and no to lsd box
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's