vibrating drive shaft

Started by scuzzyGTV, July 18, 2010, 08:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzyGTV

the drive shaft on my new gtv is out of balance, i have a vibration somewhere between 1500 & 2500rpm depending on gear & road speed.

obviously i need to get it fixed, but when i was driving it today there is now a major hesitation with acceleration (very slow to take off), almost as if i'm driving it cold. could this be caused by the vibration back into teh flywhee/crankl?

i'm now even hesitant to drive it to get the shaft balanced (about 7k's away), or am i being paranoid?

also any rough cost of getting an alfa drive shaft balanced? i've been told approx.100-200 minus donut.

any advice would be appreciated.

scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

John A Pucak

Call  Tailshaft service in Turrella Sydney on 02 95676247

John

scuzzyGTV

could be a little far from hobart, but if all else fails mainland will be on the cards.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

stradale

have you cracked or split a donut ?
Some Alfettas viberate from idle up to about 1500 revs, then it goes away as the revs climb
If the vibration continues or gets worse after 1500 revs  I would think its probably a donut has split    
unless you have had the torque tube out or modified it recently these torque tubes dont usally just go out of balance in my experience its nearly always a broken or split donut
Does the tube vibrate gently or does it shake violently
Has it just appeared or was the vibration there when you purchased the car
An out of balance torque tube should not cause a hesitation in your engine
and unless the vibration is extremely violent then it wont hurt to drive it a few k's to get it sorted

scuzzyGTV

no mods to the shaft that i am aware of, and it was inspected prior to collection with no sign of cracks/split. i havent managed to get under it yet, just a look from the side. the shaft is moving a substantial amout, to the ordfer of about 15mm at idle, and the vibration has been with it since collection.
i suppose there is a good possibility that it has cracked, as its covered about 700k's in the last couple of weeks, (didnt really have a choice and enjoyed every second of it) and with that much play there could have been some issues. i'll go and see if i can get it balanced and if any coupling needs replacing we'll do it then.
i'll do some fault finding on engine this weekend.
thanks for the advice.
scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Anthony Miller

I chased a simmilar problem for years, replaced all couplings, had the shaft out several times to be balanced, only to discover the centre bearing to be flogged.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)