Flat battery, can you jump Start a 156?

Started by Andrew B, July 02, 2010, 02:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew B

Hi I have arrived back from interstate to discover I have a flat battery,
The RACV arrived and proclaimed that they can't jump Alfas is this true?
Earlier this year an RACV man was quite happy to do it for me
Car 156 Manual wagon, 2005, JTS engine
Thanks
Andrew

Andrew156

I would not have thought that to be a problem with a correctly shielded/earthed charger or set of leads.

The RACV man may just have crapped his dacks at the thought of a real "roadside repair" rather than just calling for a tow truck :P
'02 Alfa 156 Selespeed Wagon

Brad M

RACV sell batteries now don't they, could he have been trying to up sell?
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

lmcpaulm

RACQ have charged my battery once (in my 2005 156), and I have done it once with a battery charger from Super Cheap Auto - the one that plugs into your 240V socket at home and converts it to 16V for your battery - no problems.

On both occasions I was charging the battery before turning the engine over.

Not, what other people do, which is attempt to turn the engine over while it is still connected to another battery/charger.

Maybe makes no difference? I don't know... I just did what the RACQ said to do - and only takes between 5-10 minutes in some occasions. 

wankski

i agree with the RACV guy.... jump starting has fried on occasion the airbag ecu, it appears to be very sensitive to voltage spikes.

best way to deal with flat battery is to recharge.

leaded

Has happened to me often, yes the electrics/computer are very sensitive, however near the battery area there is a small plastic cover that folds up to reveal a safe connector for your positive connection. You can jump start or use a boost pack here...   ;)