NEW SHOCKS OR JUST SPRINGS (156)

Started by ALFA156DALE, June 25, 2010, 11:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALFA156DALE

Hi,
    Iam going to buy some springs to lower my 156, I was wondering whether i should
    buy some shock absorbers for alfa as well as the springs? They are King Springs
    that I was looking at buying and they say the springs lower the car by 30-35mm.
    Will I need to buy shockers or will the standard V6 156 ones be ok? Are King Springs
    good or do you guys have any opinions on what springs I should buy and maybe
    shockers if needed? (WITH COST IN MIND)

Thanks,
Dale.
-------------------------------
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

dehne

have a look on ebay as i think there is a set of lowering springs and shock on there at the moment
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

shiny_car

King Springs can be ok. But I have always used Eibach Pro Kit springs, which I've been happy with.

I don't know how King Springs compare in terms of ride comfort and handling. But I was happy with Eibach on my old 2L 156.

Original shocks can be ok if they are pretty new (eg: car under 60K km). But upgraded shocks can be a big improvement. In fact, springs-alone are more about improving the 'look' of the car by lowering it. If you want improved handling and/or ride comfort, then upgraded shocks should be a higher priority.

I recommend KONI Sport shocks, but other good choices should be KONI FSD and Bilstein B6.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Andrew156

I've only experienced King springs in a variety of Holdens for road and track and in each instance can vouch that they are an excellent locally made product. No experience on the Alfa's but I can't imagine they are that bad! After all it the shock that does the bump and rebound control, the spring controls the ride height fundamentally.

I's suggest Koni sports but look at some of the o/s online retailers for competitive pricing. I understand the Boge's are OK but no first hand experience in the Alfa.
'02 Alfa 156 Selespeed Wagon

John Hanslow

I note your comment.  Always wanted to know which to do first.

QuoteOriginal shocks can be ok if they are pretty new (eg: car under 60K km). But upgraded shocks can be a big improvement. In fact, springs-alone are more about improving the 'look' of the car by lowering it. If you want improved handling and/or ride comfort, then upgraded shocks should be a higher priority.

That's good advice for me as my car is already lowered.  I can always replace the springs as necessary at a later date.  Koni Yellow seems to be the consensus.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

ALFA156DALE

Thanks for all that helpful advice, I will have a look at koni, eibach and bilsteins with king springs still in mind.
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202