GTV6 how safe if rear ended

Started by STRADALE, June 22, 2010, 02:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRADALE

M

david sammartino

i always thought that the location of the fuel tanks in the gtv6s and 75 3l's positioned inside the boot and behind the rear seats was infact due to the push from the us authorities to make cars safer, in that the car has a larger crumble zone until the fuel tank could likely to be hit. i mean it would have to be a pretty severe hit in the backside for a gtv6 or 75 3.0 to be crushed up enough to hit the fuel tank, whereas the case in example regarding your 75 speaks for itself, as much as i prefer the alternative mounted tanks due to its many benefits, it would have to be said that generally the yanks got it right. ;)
also explains the ugly bumper bars on american alfas and 3.0 75 style fuel tank in all 75s in the u.s.

Brad M

How bout this ? Get a roll of race tape (cloth tape) and use the whole roll to wrap around the positive terminal. That will sort it.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

david sammartino

whats the difference than with the battery at the front? metal would still be able to be deformed and touch a terminal and spark wouldnt it? even worse, now we are adding fuel and oil in the mix.

guys guys guys, so not anything to worry about, i mean with our 30 year old cars we have far more pressing things to worry about, and besides, and heres the punch line, atleast with the battery in the back, even if by the unlikely chance you smash up your car so badly that you are doing damage to the battery area and are of course as mentioned by chowder boy, still alive and able to worry about such things, the odds are that the rust contained in the immediate area of your battery tray due to your leaky boot seals, wont conduct any spark anyway, hahhahahahhahaha!

Simon Aarons

I would be more worried about if i rear ended another car at a decent speed... no airbags, metal framed steering wheel, windscreen so close to your head... i don't like this thread......
1986 GTV6 3.0L

redalfaracing

And if you do get rear ended, I'll take the rest, as i'm most likely to total the front in mine than the back.
For the record, my GTV6 uses an odyssey battery about the size of a big jim battery, weighs 7 kgs and never looks like giving up. Mounted just behind the driver, safe as houses ( unless you just got new insulation! )
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Fylnn

Greg,

That is right I remember you used the battery hole for your surge tank and pumps.  Does the battery carrier ever get a whack hanging down there on your rally car?  I assume you just used a battery box from somewhere to mount your battery in the cabin?

Brad M

Sportiva#22/Glen makes a lot of comments and either deletes or removes them.

Is it a case of not engaging the brain before the typing? Or is someone else making crazy posts when the computer is unattended?

I see little commitment to the marque using that logic (cheers Chod) you just don't seem to get it.

Quote from: Sportiva#22 on June 23, 2010, 03:59:40 PM
FOR SALE GTV6 LOOKS AND SOUNDS FANTASTIC :)
Enough said right there.

Worried about safety? Don't use it as a Daily (and get some race tape) :)
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

STRADALE

I havent  been without an alfa romeo for thirty yrs they are always my daily driver
I work on them myself have covered hundreds of thouhands of kilometers in them they only see mechanics for rego checks and i know every nut and bolt on them.
I have 100s of scale models and a bookshelf full of books on alfas
Dont question my dedication

Some of you need to lighten up a bit and dont get upset if you hear the truth about your alfas

Brad M

06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

redalfaracing

Quote from: Fylnn on June 22, 2010, 09:15:47 PM
Greg,

That is right I remember you used the battery hole for your surge tank and pumps.  Does the battery carrier ever get a whack hanging down there on your rally car?  I assume you just used a battery box from somewhere to mount your battery in the cabin?

Flynn, Hasn't had a whack yet. But i think one day it will. Worry about that when it happens. The Odyssey battery is sealed and leak proof. Doesn't need a battery box. It is just clamped to the floor by a bit of 40 mm x 2.5 mm aluminium strap. Rubber boots over the terminals keep it safe from shorts.

Quote from: Sportiva#22 on June 23, 2010, 06:37:58 PM
I havent  been without an alfa romeo for thirty yrs they are always my daily driver
I work on them myself have covered hundreds of thouhands of kilometers in them they only see mechanics for rego checks and i know every nut and bolt on them.
I have 100s of scale models and a bookshelf full of books on alfas
Dont question my dedication

Some of you need to lighten up a bit and dont get upset if you hear the truth about your alfas

Glen, come for a 5 minute drive with me on a gravel road somewhere, Either you will wet yourself, or you will just have to have one! Or maybe both will happen.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Brad Marshall on June 23, 2010, 06:25:17 PM
Worried about safety? Don't use it as a Daily (and get some race tape) :)

Or alternatively, drive everywhere backwards....  That way, if someone doesn't stop, you don't have to worry about the battery, you just need to figure out how to remove the v6 engine from your lap.

STRADALE

Thanks Choderboy for adding that quote its my favorite post, I lost it during an edit.
The others I removed so as not to upset readers
I started the post with what I thought were fair concerns, some replys were helpfull others with humour others just plain smart arse
I like a bit of humour, maybe some of you dont understand mine but again lighten up
I know what a GUMBY is and I understand the metaphor but getting personal is not very sporting
I have defended Alfa Romeos for years, so maybe i should understand how some of you feel towards the brand
I've been called worse than gumby before but none of you can attack my comittment or dedication to the marque   

VeeSix

Wow great thread, really enjoyed all the points and different views, nice to see some thought provoking input, i guess the only thing that could spoil it would be Sheldons foul mouth!!!!!
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Brad M

Quote from: VeeSix on June 24, 2010, 06:30:52 AM
i guess the only thing that could spoil it would be Sheldons foul mouth!!!!!

David, really not sure where that came from. I still think my suggestion was valid ... the scrutineers at the 6 hour swear by it.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0