Need to borrow car trailer urgently

Started by spieret, June 16, 2010, 08:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spieret

:( help my baby is leaking oil bad and I need to borrow someone's car trailer to get her to the doctor. It's too far to drive it. :'(
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

hammer

Tony,

You are welcome to borrow mine but it lives at Bulimba.

Cheers,

Brent

spieret

Thanks Brent,

I tried to call you last night but you musn't have heard it ring. Could i pick it up tonight please. If so can you text me your address 0403 419 514.

Cheers

Tony

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

OzMidnight

How did you go and where do you live?

spieret

Hi Oz,

I was able to get the trailer off Hammer and take the car to the mechanics.

Good News : It wasn't the motor, the motor is fine  :)

Better News : The diff threw a gear into the bell housing of the gearbox. Why is that better news, cause I got myself a Q2  ;D

And might I say phooey on aussie parts suppliers.

Reconditoned diff and gearbox for the GTV in Australia $2550 just for the part.

Reconditioned 5 speed box with Q2, fitted and delivered, from autolusso in the UK $1645

Why would you buy parts in australia. I think I am in the wrong business I should open a parts shop and retire in 5 years.

Anyway, can't wait to try out the new diff, should be finished by the end of next week.

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: spieret on June 29, 2010, 03:07:48 PM
Hi Oz,

I was able to get the trailer off Hammer and take the car to the mechanics.

Good News : It wasn't the motor, the motor is fine  :)

Better News : The diff threw a gear into the bell housing of the gearbox. Why is that better news, cause I got myself a Q2  ;D

And might I say phooey on aussie parts suppliers.

Reconditoned diff and gearbox for the GTV in Australia $2550 just for the part.

Reconditioned 5 speed box with Q2, fitted and delivered, from autolusso in the UK $1645

Why would you buy parts in australia. I think I am in the wrong business I should open a parts shop and retire in 5 years.

Anyway, can't wait to try out the new diff, should be finished by the end of next week.

What does that $1645 work out to if you get picked up for customs duties and GST on it?  Or has the invoice been written down to try and dodge this little problem?

And yes, I know its probably still cheaper, but there are also a hell of a lot more GTVs in the UK to donate gearboxes for reco....  I've seen a few sites where people pick up whole running GTVs over there for less than you are paying for your gearbox...  Try and do that here...

spieret

I can't work out if your having a go at me or agreeing with me ???

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

OzMidnight

I think he is agreeing with you...and was asking if that price was all the way to your hot hands or if you then had to add customs duty to it.

Glad you got a trailer when you needed.

Darryl

I think you both have a point. The thing to do would seem to be to be an importer with contacts - not a stockist - but if you don't carry stock who will call you.... So the real answer is - you did the only sensible thing. That said, I'm impressed/amazed at the FIS cost (if that is what it is?) - is that down to the supplier having spectacularly good freight contacts, a severe cash flow problem, or both? Or do you know something we all need to know re freight from UK?

Anyway, glad it is sorted. Not sure if I'm glad you now have a decent diff in that thing :)

spieret

As with all things, the freight is normal to them, however the guy nearly had a heart attack when he saw the return freight through the same company would have been 350 quid OZ to the UK as opposed to 170 UK to OZ.

As you for you not being happy i got the Q2, you couldn't keep up before anyway;)

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

spieret

Well i picked up the GTV yesterday. Will let you all know how the Q2 goes, but just powering out of a roundabout is a huge difference.

There was no extra duty or GST on the purchase of the gearbox and diff. So $1645 total delivered.

Cheers

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

MD

QuoteThere was no extra duty or GST on the purchase

Is that because it is a used part that does not incurr duty or you simply got arsey?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Craig_m67

Ah Autolusso.. fantastic peeps !!
Who'd you use to fit the new box (Alfa, John F, Avanti, other?). 

I'm in the gabba with a horrible big end knock which will probably turn into a rebuild (156 1.9diesel) or swap (Autolusso).  I only ask as I used one of the above recently for a cluitch but was a bit unimpressed with the number of things left undone (wheel nuts, egr, reversing lights)..

Can anybody recommend a good engine reconditioner in Bris. with 156 tear down knowledge?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

spieret

I took the car to Automotion at Albion. Cam and Chris are not only Alfa knowledgable but club members and part of Alfacomp. They should be able to help out.

When they worked on my car, they also checked the clutch and replaced it since it was time to do it, and check a few other things that would need doing with the gearbox and diff out. they also changed all the fluids.

Is that because it is a used part that does not incurr duty or you simply got arsey?

The gearbox was a used part but the diff was new so maybe a bit of both.

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV