Non-Operational Speedo on a restored Alfa 90

Started by Rocco166, May 31, 2010, 12:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocco166

Hi All,

I am in the process of returning my Alfa 90 to the road after a few years of rest, over the past 4 months my mechanic has gotten the car 99% ready for re-licensing the only outstanding issue is the speedo which has an intermittent fault.  The original speedo would read from 0-45kp/h then revert to 0 kp/h until it reached 70 kp/h + where it would read normally again - the pick up sensor was replaced but that did not resolve the problem so the entire instrument panel was sent to Melbourne to be refurbished. Once the speedo returned it worked fine for 10 minutes when the car was started from cold and then reverted to 0 kp/h and refused to work again - neither the digital readout for kp/h or the "sliding scale" LED kp/h display work - every other instrument is working fine.  ASV dismantlers in Sydney supplied 3 different second hand instrument clusters and 2 of them have intially worked but then the speedo has "dropped off" and gone back to a 0 kp/h reading.  ???

Has anyone had this problem with their Alfa 90 digital dash? Short of re-wiring the entire speedo, which may or may not solve the problem, my mechanic and I are at a loss to figure out what the issue could be.

The car can't be relicensed without a functioning speedo and as this is the final part of the restoration - the failure of the speedo is a frustrating problem.

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved - I just want to (legally) drive my 90 again  :'(
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 AR 90 Gold Cloverleaf
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza

dehne

i have never had a prob with my cluster b4 and ive owned a few 90's one thing i would say to sheck is the earth wire on the sender unit its located under the rear seat and make sure all the connections behind the cluster are ok. if you need any other parts for ur 90 let me know as i have heaps of them
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

MD

Rocco. How original does the car have to be ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Rocco166

thanks Dehne and MD,

I'll pass the info on to my mechanic - he's as frustrated as I am with this fault - who would have thought and 80's Alfa could be so tempramental ;)

MD I did float the idea of changing to a "normal" analogue dash but that idea was shot down - what are my options for the 90?
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza

MD

Rocco,

With all due respect to even the best mechanics out there, this type of instrument and its operation is really a job for an electronics technician. The two trades are worlds apart. Therein lies some of your problem. I could write a book on the dramas I have gone through to get electronic circuitry dope out of
the Italians to make various combinations of speedo heads work with different generation senders and the like but all they ever do is give you the cold shoulder and hold their so called intelligence very close to their chests.
So it's impossible to say what the problem is which can range from faultly micro chips, cracked circuit boards, dry joints on the boards, changed values of components, dried out electrolytic condensers for the speedo itself. You could have a similar story with the sender uints. And finally there may be spurious signal interference in your line voltage that either inteferes with the normal circuitry function or actually damages it when in use and once done, its cactus.
I recently had no end of trouble with a 75 speedo head. It was intermittent. However it was only intermittent when the tacho was in use. If the tacho was disconnected, the speedo worked fine -most of the time but not continuously. In my case, I wound up installing a complete replacement binnacle set. It now works fine.

If you didn't want to remain genuine, you could always run a speedo off the front wheel and use an off the shelf speedo head that matches the sender.......

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mat Francis

Quote from: MD on June 02, 2010, 09:14:30 PM
Rocco,

If you didn't want to remain genuine, you could always run a speedo off the front wheel and use an off the shelf speedo head that matches the sender.......

Works a treat in my alfetta!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Rocco166

thanks to everyone for the suggestions for fixing my electronic speedo on the 90 - after much investigation and deconstruction of the dash I found a short in the loom against the firewall that was intermittantly shutting down the feed to the speedo - the loom has been repaired and the speedo is working fine.
Now I just need to get it over the pits and re-licensed.....
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza

MD

Ah the old knackered loom trick...geez  !!

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
Just for interest I was shown a range of speedo's the other night which are basically a GPS Velocity readout but look like speedo's!.gotta love that.Just has power input and an antenna to pick up the satelites.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

MD

Interesting indeed !!
Wonder how good it would be in the concrete jungle?

Only drawback I can see is the inability to wrap the pointer around the end stopper.  ;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0