Identifying 159 JTD MY09?

Started by volare, May 04, 2010, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volare

I believe the 159 JTD MY09 series car have new improvements such as

-more power (154kw). as Alfa website doesn't show this.
-more leg room in rear
-better gearbox software?
-reduced NVH?(need help on what that is)
-computer controlled start button(think to help start problems)
-revised switchgear for the HVAC system?

Can you all help a novice identify which cars have these improvements as some used cars are advertised as 2008 but MY09 series. Others 2008 but 09 compliant? I don't understand how it all works. Is there an easy way to identify the MY09 series as most dealers have no idea.
Also can you guys confirm these improvents have they worked and what do they mean.

Thanks for you input. 

scuzzyGTV

hi Volare
the only thing i can help you with is NVH = Noise, vibration & harshness and is a general comfort measure.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

NigelC

Not sure how you can get more rear legroom without fundamentally changing the interior, the car is the same size as it was in 2006.  The start button has also not changed.  NVH improvements are a normal part of a model's evolution as the manufacturer gets more information from cars on the road.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

volare

Excellent! Thanks guys for your quick replies, you have already helped answer some Q's.

The info I got comes from a review in carsales.com.au
"Developing 154kW of power and 400Nm of torque, the new (JTDm) five-cylinder powerplant is 7kW stronger than the previous model, but Alfa Romeo claims that the engine has leapt forward in its driving characteristics, mustering better response from lower revs. Fuel consumption for the diesel 159 is 6.8L/100km, in accordance with combined-cycle testing.

When coupled to the optional six-speed automatic transmission, the diesel engine's upgraded management software provides faster downshifts and smoother gear selection. With the introduction of the new model year range, buyers can opt for the Ti package combined with the diesel for the first time.

All 159 variants offer enhanced ride characteristics and reduced NVH, according to Alfa Romeo's local distributor, Ateco Automotive. Without the visual styling cues to identify the new model year range, the upgraded 159 can be picked by its revised interior, which features increased headroom and rear-seat legroom, plus new instrumentation, revised switchgear for the HVAC system, a computer-controlled engine-start button and a more accommodating headlining in different fabrics.

This why, if it's all true, I'm considering a used MY09 JTD. From all the reviews I've read these seam to be the issues that most reviewers are not happy with.

Can anyone else enlighten me?
Thanks

L4OMEO

Hi Volare

You're absolutely right - while it wasn't promoted as a new model the 159 was subject to a raft of under-the-skin revisions some time in 2009 (going on a diet in the process - it dropped 20-30kg, dependent on model). This included retuned suspension, improved management of the auto 'box, tweaks to the diesel engine, more sound-proofing, and some trim and equipment changes. Wheels mag had a brief drive of the updated model and commented on how effective these combined changes were overall in improving the car.

As you indicate though, the difficulty will be in identifing the later cars since there weren't a lot of visual clues, and I wouldn't rely on the knowledge or honesty of a dealer (snigger) for to answer this. Maybe you could check out a new 159 before looking for an '09 model; theoretically the spec should the same as the '09 update cars so if you find any obvious differences with the used cars you're looking at chances are they're pre-update. Not very scientific but it's the best I've got   ::)

BTW NigelC - the increased leg and headroom was achieved through changes to the seat design and positioning.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

volare

Super, this info already helps as the couple of dealers I've emailed regarding the 159 JTD MY09 series haven't really answered my questions regarding whether the car they're selling is a MY09 or not.(god bless them they're just trying hard to sell the car)

Good advise on checking out a brand new car to help identify that series.

There seams to be more JTD Ti cars on the used market than just standard JTD, but I'm concerned about the ride quality with the lowered suspension on the Ti.

Can anyone comment on having compared the two cars and their smoothness as I would image that the Ti might be too stiff. I know it's a subjective thing but someone may have good reasoning behind their opinion.

Grazie     

Stuart Thomson

Can't really do a comparison, we own a 2.4 JTD wagon, 2007 I think.  It's a nice car, the ride is quite supple (compared to my GTAs), not harsh at all.  Ours rides on the 19" rubber, so the suspension is doing all the work, I don't think the Ti would be that harsh.

As for the model differences, the extra rear legroom comes from shortening the rear seat squab.  The improved start button is a software thing, with ours you have to hold it in until it starts, the newer cars you just press the start button and it goes (i.e. electronically controlled release).  The extra power is a software remap, the M in the JTD badge indicates a refinement of the engine, then a remap gives it a bit more power.

If you buy one of these, get the wheels realigned, they are setup in the factory with toe in at the front, this destroys the inner edges of the (not inexpensive, $600 ea) tyres.  Ours had gone through a full set in under 20000kms.

Cheers
Stuart

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

The Ti (V6) can be a little harsh over potholes but much better than my old much loved RenaultSport Clio.
It kinda adds to the sporty feel and I don't consider it a negative at all.
After 2 years, I love my Ti more and more.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

volare

For anyone who is interested, in my research I found out that you can possibly check if you have the higher powered engine 154kw(210BHP), as opposed to the 147kw (200BHP) by looking at the compliance plate under the bonnet.

Where "ENGINE" or "MOTORE" is the code:

939A3000 = 200BHP
939A9000 = 210BHP