Wanted - 156 Sportswagon Manual JTS

Started by rocoo1, April 23, 2010, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocoo1

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a 156 Sportswagon Manual, JTS, preferrably black or silver. Less than 100,000km on the clock. Not really much to choose from online.

Shout out if you know someone who has one for sale or maybe a dealer you have spotted one in.

Much appreciated.

John Hanslow

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Davidm1600

John, you might be correct in your assessment, though personally I can't imagine why whether a car is registered or not should turn anyone away.  Where does it actually say though in the ad that it has no service history ? From my reading it simply doesn't list whether it has or not. That would be a question any potential buyer could take up with the seller.

From my perspective the condition, kms on the clock and the price seems about spot on. The only thing that would put me off is the colour. I am not a fan of black cars. 

Luckily I am perfectly happy with my manual metallic blue JTS wagon so am not on the market for a newer one. Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

rocoo1

I've had a look at that car listed and a chat with the bloke selling it. He is at least the second owner and its true there is no service history.
From that basis its hard to get a gauge on its past. It is however now registered.

The owner has done some work on it to remove a tennis ball dent on the front bonnet which included a new spray of the front. Also some work done in on the rear where the previous owners scratched it up near boot entry -  seemingly was used to transport stuff?

It has had its cam belt replaced and recently got a racq check. (Not sure how thorough the racq check would be?).

I'm a little wary just because who knows how well the previous owners looked after it. The bloke selling it does seem genuine and i get the impression since he owned it its been well looked after.

Seems like a case for an alfa mechanic to give it a thorough check over.

rocoo1

I have done a V Check on the aforementioned car above and low and behold it was written off for water damage on the 01/06/2009.

No wonder it was unregistered for a period of time. Seems the owner has been fixing it up since the water damage and only recently has passed written off inspection.

I personally don't see how anyone could purchase a car written off for water damage...has the worst way for a car to be written off.

Anyway, beware anyone thinking of this car.

Back to the drawing board. I guess patience is the best virtue when looking for a 156 JTS Sportswagon.

Cheers

John Hanslow

Well I did not expect that but there we go. 

Caution and a bit research can save a potential buyer from a 'world of hurt'.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata