HELP!!Spider Camber

Started by 02Spider, April 15, 2010, 09:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02Spider

New female Alfa owner  ;D who knows a tiny bit about cars but new to Alfa. No history on car. Vehicle appears low. Whether its been lowered or simply springs sag, what is standard vehicle clearance? Have read that camber cannot be adjusted. Living in Country Vic Australia, no-one here has any experience with vehicle ???. Car is for road driving and running standard wheels 205/50 on 16" alloy rims. Experiencing wear on inside track of front wheels, rear wheels also camber (top inside further than bottom) but less wear. Have had wheel align guys check bushes and tie rod arms all OK. Firstly what is the recommended camber front and rear for standard road use. Secondly local PEDDERS recommended fit clevis bolt to replace the top bolt where the stub axle fits to the mcpherson strut assembly. This would allow camber to be adjusted, a little. I have also seen a post where a non-alfa part (arm?)can be fitted to allow camber adjustment to be done. Is this readily available (in Australia).

John Hanslow

What year and model is the car ?
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Jekyll and Hyde

Camber is not adjustable, and with the factory lowering pack the GTV/Spiders have a lot of negative camber (think my GTV has 3 degrees in the back end).  Not an issue though, toe adjustments are the key to stopping them chewing out tyres (156/147 are just as bad if the toe is out).  Both front and rear can have the toe adjusted, if your alignment guy tells you the rear has no adjustment (as has previously happened to me from a very good wheel alignment guy), tell them to look harder - the adjustment is there.

Would also suggest steering clear of Pedders.  My experience has been Pedders struggle with the simple tasks (such as fitting shocks with the end marked "this end up" in the right spot), and get worse the more thinking is required.  Same problem as with most franchise automotive places, and European cars confuse all of them, whether it be an Alfa, Range Rover, BMW etc....

dehne

where in vic are you by country im guessing maybe bendigo if this is a yes scott at pedders knows a bit about the alfas his dad races a alfa 90 and he has done a bit of work for me and a mate on his 3.2lrt gtv when it comes to wheel allignment there is only 1 guyn i would recomend in bendigo and that is mick devany he does the mobile wheel allignments and he has done heaps of alfas if you are in bendigo give me a call and ill help you out with most things you will need and let you know of the GOOD places to go here 0418711643
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's