Vented rear discs

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, March 29, 2010, 11:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Does anyone have experience with vented rear discs, ie anecdotal evidence of benefit/cost ratio? 

Any ideas on good sources of discs/caliper kits.  Best I've seen so far is just under $700 for the SZ style disc and caliper kit, plus shipping from the US.

Also, any experience here of putting holes through the floor to aid ventilation/access (via a hose from a side window, or any other solutions).

Any other options for a ventilated disc that people have experimented with, surely there must be a vented disc from another manufacturer that could be made to fit?

My rear brakes are pretty good at the moment, but I figure since I have much stiffer springs all round now I can install an adjustable bias valve and try and get some more work from the rear (is that right?), but I want to make sure they're as efficient as possible before I work them too hard.

Sheldon McIntosh

MD, just saw a couple of your posts elsewhere.    Should add, for the next few years this is a registered car which will be driven on the road, so I 'legally' need the handbrake.  It's no deal-breaker though for the right solution....

dehne

hi sheldon i was going to run air to my rear brakes but i was informed by someone cannot remember who that this would not to to much for them but i think as greg said to run a plate on the gearbox that pushes the air up there. the guy on ebay selld the ventilated rear disks for the 90 i have allready inquired about them and all that needs to be done is spacing the callipers any good brake place can do it.
hope this helps if you find anygood info post it as im keen to upgrade my brakes to
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Evan Bottcher

dehne, I don't think those discs are ventilated.  States pretty clearly:

"If the original rotors on your vehicle are solid, the replacement RDA rotors will also be solid.
If the original rotors on your vehicle are vented, the replacement RDA rotors will also be vented.
There are no vented replacements for solid rotors."
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

redalfaracing

Puegeot 306 gti front discs can be made to fit really easily. just require redrilling and a spacer ring made to keep concentric on the stub flange. Mount inside out with left disc on right side. available in rda gold. modify original calipers to fit or do like me, grab some radial mount willwood or brembos of ebad. i bought some willwood IR-GT4R wich will fit nicely. working on a mechanical handbrake that works on the outer cv joint. ( just has to work good enough for scrutiny)
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

dehne

EVAN
there is a ventilated replacement for the rear solids but the calipers need to be spaced out thats all a friend of mine has allready done to his car but he has now sold it so i cannot look at it to see which ones he used, the other slight prob with it is where the exhaust is it may need to be moved across a bit
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

SimonR

Vin Sharp already has vented rear 116 discs made up so no need to modify other stuff and can advise of the caliper modification needed too.

Ducting to rear calipers is easy via heat proof duct etc and can all be done from underneath the car and no holes in floor or windows. Group S guys already have installed these to many 116 cars.

Regards Simon
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

Sheldon McIntosh

Yeah I have heard that with vented discs and some ducting there are no major problems with heat, especially if the exhaust is routed away from that area also.  If there is no problem with overheating then I agree, inboard is far preferable.  Would be nice to have easier to change pads of course....

MD

Sheldon, sorry mate, I have just seen this thread otherwise I would have chimed in sooner. Send alfagtv152 a PM, he's got some solutions for rear calipers with handbrake. The alternative to maintenance access is to relocate the calipers from the 12 O'clock position (viewed on RHS) to the 5 O'clock position by the use of custom adapters.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0