WONT GO INTO REVERSE

Started by JohnMate, March 29, 2010, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

I have three but am forced to drive around in a Saab ATM >:( >:( >:( >:(

Mat Francis

I'm three from three (yes, running  :o)at the moment! Should i buy a lottery ticket?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Mat Francis on March 30, 2010, 09:37:11 PM
I'm three from three (yes, running  :o)at the moment! Should i buy a lottery ticket?

Means you aren't driving them enough.

alfagtv58

Quote from: Mat Francis on March 30, 2010, 09:37:11 PM

Chances are you dont have any money left over for a lottery ticket after getting all three running
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

jayarr

JohnMate -

"It happened about 5 times (I kept doing it to make sure it wasnt a fluke), until the 6th time where I noticed the lights flickered out and it virtually drained the battery."

Presume that now that you believe that something is draining the battery, you have used an ammeter to work through the electricals and narrow down which component is drawing a lot of current?

If you draw a blank there, have you checked the pressures being generated by the Selespeed pump against the required pressures specified by Alfa, and also at the various key points in the hydraulic circuit?

Short term fix (cheaper than $6000), buy 10 batteries put them in the boot, hook them up in parallel, and connect into the main power rail. At least you'll get 50 shots at reverse gear before you need to recharge.  ;D

Cheers.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003

Andrew156

'02 Alfa 156 Selespeed Wagon

JohnMate

well some good and some bad I recently drove it to my family's place. When driving lights galore flashed on the way home, Engine, vdc, low tyre?, and bulb out signal but would all go off when i restarted the car and none of the lights were applicable. I dont know if this happens in the alfa but in one of my Bimmers I jump started it and fucked the OBC(I knew the risk i was stuck in ivan malat country first car to drive past in 3 hrs). With this i experienced similar effects to what the alfa is doing. When I purchased the car the elderly man said the battery was on its way out... could jump starting the car have the effect on the OBC limiting gear box function? or the battery running dead? I think a reboot of the computer when its diagnosed could help me out here. thanks for the help! sorry i am not replying to fast, studying a BA at twice the recommended pace so very busy with this.

Mat Francis

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on March 30, 2010, 04:38:11 PM
Have you checked the alternator?  And can I assume you've double checked that nothing else is draining the battery, ie checked with a multimeter?

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie