What's the current thinking with in-car cameras?

Started by Evan Bottcher, March 26, 2010, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

Sheldon -  its a good question, I didn't get one of those cameras because I don't have a roll cage either - and I can't work out how to mount the thing otherwise. Even with a cage you are still limited to attaching the thing with its 1/4" camera mount at the base - these things ( thin rectangular upright cameras ) don't really lend themselves to being attached into cars in a way that scrutineers would like. Additionally the camera is supposed to be 106 grams without batteries - if they ever bring in a rule where the camera actually has to be < 100 grams, this may be a problem.

The hero pro camera has the mounting issue solved - that is great for racecar applications, and I quite like the softness of the video that it produces, however the sound recording (an essential component ) is very problematic from the hero pro.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Evan Bottcher

Stuart Thomson - can you show a photo of the way you've mounted the kodak camera?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: jimnielsen on April 06, 2010, 08:27:17 AM
The hero pro camera has the mounting issue solved - that is great for racecar applications, and I quite like the softness of the video that it produces, however the sound recording (an essential component ) is very problematic from the hero pro.

Do you mean the suction cups?  They are a good solution, and very strong, but they wouldn't pass scrutineering would they?

jimnielsen

well, maybe - the ability to pass scruitneering should be based on some specific load capability, not the method. At the Alfa Island event I had one suction cupped to the underside metal roof of my car and it worked well, it would be very difficult to remove with out releasing the suction. I did have an 'emergency' cable tie around it as well, however - but this was not needed..Anyway, talking to Ray Pignataro, who is using his hero pro today at Bathurst at the FoSC meeting - the sound is again 'rubbish'  - so I wouldn't get one on that basis anyway..
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: jimnielsen on April 06, 2010, 04:29:21 PM
well, maybe - the ability to pass scruitneering should be based on some specific load capability, not the method.

Should be, but scrutineers often operate to different rules of logic to other people.  Apart from Colin and Bruno, they're ace!! :-*

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on April 06, 2010, 09:15:21 AM
Stuart Thomson - can you show a photo of the way you've mounted the kodak camera?

Yep.

Made from brackets and stuff from Bunnings.

It attaches through the two 1/4" bolts coming out the back to a bracket of some sort.  I usually use a rollcage, but anything solid in the car would do.

I'll work out something for road cars when I get mine back :-(

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart Thomson

Ray Pignataro

Had no problem with scrutineering at Bathurst, using only the suction plate. video is fabulous sound is ordinary. On another note fantastic event.

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

jimnielsen

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

dehne

i bolted mine to the dash of my car abd the first time i used it it passed but ther second time it did not so i went and brought a lightweight video camera from target for $79 and it is great it takes 2 x aa batteries and a memorycard slides in the back so now im going to glue it in so it will never come off
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Paul Gulliver

Stuart.

Do you need a building permit for that camera cage???
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Ray Pignataro

Jim you know you have to come over to post the video . I cant do that?