Can anyone offer info to Register a car with VIcRoad 'Club Plates' Registration

Started by carbon, March 28, 2010, 02:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbon

Hi there,
Can anyone offer me some info regarding Registering a Modified Alfa with VicRoads 'Clup Plates' Registration and Number Plates ?
I'm trying to work out a way to Register an Alfa with an proposed Engine Conversion in a 105 1750 to increase the engine size, which can be used for Limited driving on the road to and from club events, rallies, workshops, and events.
If anyone who has their car Registered with VicRoads Club Plates, or anyone who is familiar with this type of VicRoads Registration, its limitations, and its benefits,would be kind enough to share their thoughts, it would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks, Peter.

Sheldon McIntosh

Sorry Carbon, I assumed someone more knowledgable than me would have piped up by now, so here's the little I know about it......

-Car must have a RWC (from an idependent tester, not the club).
-Can only be used for 'Club Events', ie events listed in the calendar.  I believe there is a little bit of leeway for "testing", or "going to the mechanics", but I imagine these excuses don't work on Easter weekend with the wife, dog and picnic basket in the car.  Not that I'd advise anyone to carry a dog in a car damn messy beasts bloody hair gets everywhere.  Also, this is possibly going to change to a proposed 100 nominated days a year (I think it was).  Look for this sometime around 2020 at the rate it seems to be progressing at the moment.
-Club rego is a lot cheaper than regular, but I guess you knew that.
-As regards the larger engine, I don't know about that, would be interested to know the legalities myself actually, hopefully this bump will encourage people who actually know what they're talking about to post a reply.

Paul Gulliver

QuoteLook for this sometime around 2020 at the rate it seems to be progressing at the moment.

Agree with Sheldon, progress on the 90 days a year proposal has been painfully slow. If all else fails and given the 2020 time horizon, why not write to the Chief Engineer at Vic Roads and ask for clarification. If nothing else it would be an interesting exercise to find out which part of the bureaucracy     works the fastest.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

alfagtv58

Hey Carbon, sorry I didnt see this earlier....

In regards to the engine size, well strictly speaking, it would be considered a modified vehicle but so would putting in a 5 point harness or putting a set of alloys on a car that came out with steel wheels, so I wouldnt be too concerned about that.....I think that rule is more aimed at '32 Ford Roadsters with big block V8's and similar.

I have copied this from another similar thread on here somewhere..

QuoteI got the following from the Association of Motoring Clubs (Vic) of which AROCA Vic is a member.  There is talk of it going towards a 'log book' system which I think is a good idea (for various reasons), but lets cross that bridge if and when it happens!

It sould be noted that for new permits (as opposed to renewals) the Vic Roads website says a club scrutineer can sign off, but it is a long standing requirement of AROCA Vic that a RWC is obtained from an accredited RWC supplier.

Anyway, this is what AOMC has to say.......

Is NOT - Red Plates - (Personalised plates can also be red)

Is NOT - Club 'Rego' - (It is a Permit to use an UNREGISTERED VEHICLE)

Is NOT - Cheap 'Rego' for 'OLD' cars

The Club Permit Scheme -

is available to Victorian residents who are financial members of hobby vehicle clubs authorised by VicRoads.
is for basically unmodified vehicles. VicRoads interpretation of the term 'manufactured' means the state that the vehicle leaves the production line.
is a permit for the restricted use of an unregistered vehicle.
Is available for:
- Veteran Vehicles which are issued with 1 number plate and are manufactured before 1/1/1919.
- Vintage Vehicles which are issued with 1 number plate and are manufactured between 1/1/1919 and 31/12/1930.
- Classic & Historic Vehicles which are issued with 2 number plates and are manufactured after 31/12/1930 and include
- any RIGHT HAND DRIVE vehicle over 25 years old AND
- any LEFT HAND DRIVE vehicle over 25 years old

is also available for authorised club events held in other States & Territories. (WA is now included!)
has very limited private use available with a 'Special Use' Voucher issued by your authorised club.
The vehicle on the Club Permit Scheme :

must, when being driven, be 'safe to be driven on the roads' and the responsibility for this 'safe' condition rests wholly with the owner and/or driver.
must NOT be used on a regular non-club basis.
That means :
- do NOT drive the Club Permit vehicle to work,
- do NOT take the kids to school,
must NOT be used for profit or gain.
must not be used between sunset & sunrise unless fitted with electric lights (including dipping headlights, if fitted, suitable for right hand drive).
a trailer or caravan can be towed providing current regulations are followed.
may attend another authorised club's event providing :

- you are a financial member of that club,
- you or your club are invited to the event, or
- you have a Special Use Voucher.

may attend an event run by a non-authorised Club on the issue of a Special Use Voucher by your Club.
must carry:
- the VicRoads Club Permit, and should carry

- the Newsletter or Newspaper advertising the event, or
- the Special Use Voucher.

Special Use Vouchers can be used to allow REASONABLE travelling time to and from distant events.

The Club Permit is NOT transferable to another vehicle NOR is it transferable to another owner except where the new owner already holds a current Club Permit for another vehicle.

To be an 'authorised event' the event should be publicised by the authorising club or organisation.

To become 'authorised' to run Club Permit events a club must apply in writing to VicRoads and meet the conditions set by VicRoads.

Failure to comply with the rules of the Club Permit Scheme could result in -

1. Fine for driving an unregistered vehicle, or

2. Loss of your individual Club Permit, or

3. Loss of the Club's authority to operate the Club Permit Scheme, or

4. Cancellation of the Club Permit Scheme for all enthusiasts.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

carbon

Thanks for the feedback so far guys ( um, I mean guys meaning both male and female readers ).

Have been to VicRoads who have told me I will need the car obviously with a current RWC, and if modified, with a current VicRoads listed Engineer Report specifying all work is legal.

Problem is the NEW proposed rules for  modified vehicles which as it seems have a completed draft sorted, but is waiting for the government to rubber stamp this which obviously takes time, confirmed by a visit to Archie Robertson in Bayswater ( VicRoads approved Engineer ) this could be as early as next year, or .........

Obviously the government has its prioroties and when elections come around other things are more important, so how long this will take I don't know.

This means if I want to install a modified engine in relation to the standard engine the car came out with that the current rules would need to be adheared to, which affects what engine choices you have to put into the car.

It seems things have changed here in Victoria, Australia, where up to November 2009 I could have done this conversion with less trouble than now as the NEW National Code of Practice ( NCOP ) Rules suggest that:

For Light Vehicles ( Cars ) Originally weighing between 900 and 1100 kgs:

For Normally Aspirated Engines -
Original Weight ( Kgs ) x 4.0 = Maximum Capacity in cc's.

For Turbo / Supercharged Engines -
Original Weight ( Kgs ) x 2.75 = Maximum Capacity in cc's.

The weight is Tare Weight ( Unladen weight ).

Note: "The weight of the vehicle refered to in this table is the original ( Unmodified ) Tare Weight of the model vehicle fitted with the largest engine available for the model but without optional accessories ( air conditioning, tow bar, etc ). The weight of the vehicle whether it is a sedan, station wagon, utility, etc, should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model ( not station wagon version )."

So, from this: Make - Alfa Romeo.
Series - 105.
Model - 1750 GT Veloce.
Body Type - Coupe.
Tare Weight - 2288 Lbs / 1040 Kgs.

For Nornally Aspirated Engine - 1040 Kgs x 4.0 = 4160 cc Maximum.

So, 4.16 Litres creates a problem for me to fit a: GM 5.7 Litre LS1.
GM 6.0 Litre LS2.
or GM 7.0 Litre 427 CI.

Have to see how it goes, so if anyone can give more info it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.