Alternator removal in A/C GTV

Started by bonkfrog, March 20, 2010, 08:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonkfrog

My alternator warning light came on faintly on the run back from Phillip Island to Wodonga last weekend - the result was a very flat battery next day. Now I want to drop in a replacement alternator, an easy job normally, but wondered if others have done this on an air conditioned GTV. Should I just go ahead & remove the A/C compressor to gain better access or work on it as is?
Of course, I could try to do it all through the exhaust tail pipe (the gynaecological approach).
All advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

dehne

just undo the aircon off the bracket and sit it to the side then you should be able to get to the alternator
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

bonkfrog

Thanks Dehne
That sounds sensible. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Mat Francis

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Once the alternator is out (mine is easy, no ac), i got the auto elec to replace the regulator. The brushes in them wear out eventually (similar to the starter motor) and it ceases to work. $30 including labour. A tiny bit more work, but at least you know it should be good for another five years or something.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

bonkfrog

Thanks to all for assistance

Alternator out - needed bearings, regulator. Replaced belts as a precaution. The spare alternator turned out to be in poor shape & was the Marelli with ext. regulator, of course. Better to rebuild the Bosch.

Cheers
Bonkfrog

Sam

I just had the same problem happen tonight.
I will pull out the alternator tomorrow,   just out of curiosity, does anyone know what other cars have alternators that are interchangable with ours?
I was offered a reconditioned Falcon one for free today !

Barry Edmunds

Sam
Not sure what alternative units are available for Alfa. Falcon unit unlikely. Check the mounts and also whether the pulleys line up correctly. If not you will throw belts and that could be much more expensive than getting your old unit overhauled. Suggest you get your old unit done and get it boosted to 55amp.
I have got a couple of Alfa units in the 'spares' collection if you are desperate.
Barry
0405 383 431