Alfa GTV6 Injectors

Started by Fylnn, March 11, 2010, 01:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fylnn

Dear All,

I am putting a MegaSquirt system on my '83 GTV6.  One thing to consider is whether you have low or high impedance injectors.  I believe that being an '83 model I have low impedance, but my question is what is the pracitcal differences between the 2 types?

I am also guessing that there is some advantage to going to the later (hign) impedance types.  Has anyone done such a thing?  If so where did you get them from and what do they do better?

Jekyll and Hyde

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#pwm

I wouldn't say there is much advantage in going to high impedance injectors, other than the spray pattern may be better on newer injectors.  If you get yours cleaned, they should be fine.

If you want to go with MS, I suggest reading up on these two sites, they will help you answer many questions (although finding the info can sometimes be time consuming).  I'm not sure which code you are planning to run, but my suggestion would be to go with the MS-Extra code (see second link below) - its much more developed.

http://www.megamanual.com/mtabcon.htm

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Manual_Index.htm

There are also forums for both the Bowling and Grippo (standard MS code) and the MS extra code, which can also be very helpful.

Fylnn

thanks for the info, there certainly is a lot of reading involved. but I think I am getting through it slowly.  This will be either the smartest or the dumbest thing I have ever done.  Apart from buying the car in the first place.

Sam

HI Flynn,
how are you going with the megasquirt? I'm also in the started down the same path
Sam

Fylnn

Sam,

Must admit I wimped out.  By the time it was all said and done it was something like $1400 for all the bits and pieces, wiring etc was  bought from the US.  I opted to get the pre-assembled gear and then I had to install and get it to run. 

So went to talk to a man about a Haltech and it came to about $2500 drive away.   So being a bit pressed for time and patience I decided to go that route.  It actually goes in on Tuesday to get it fitted.

redalfaracing

Flynn, what model Haltech did you get? I have an E11v2  which i am going to run the 24 valve engine with and i would be interested in any info you can give me on setting it up.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Sam

Flynn,
I know how you feel. I'm a little worried about doing it too.
It's a big job and you need to learn a lot to get it done.

I can't afford the $2500 up front. and I already have acquired  most of the stuff I need, except the
the Wide Band , Air and Water  sensors , Surger Tank and the Megasquirt.

My main fear is that I may not have the knowledge to get the MS built and running. I'm worried about it becoming too much  loosing interest . I don;t want to bugger all the effort I have put in so far .....

I thought if you had gone down the same rout, I could bounce Ideas off you . It would help with my confidence level :-)
Oh well , I'll just have to plug away at it and hope it make it all come together

Fylnn

Greg,

Forget the name, it goes in tomorrow, but it is the basic version as I am running the 12V 2.5 engine for PRC.  If I did upgrade it would be to a 3.0L but still the 12V engine, so uses a single coil.  I am told that if you go to the 24V engine and you use the coil per plug arrangement you need a different computer (no doubt more expensive).

Sam,

Yeah $2.5K is a big lump and was not in the budget, but at the point of being so near and yet so far, lost patience.  The bit that concerned me was the set up and the soldering and so on, and the finding out where to put an extra resistor.  I think once that hurdle is crossed the actual tuning might not be that hard.  But it is all time I don't have.  There is a MS forum on GTV6.org with heaps of information and peoples maps to download.  That could be a good start.

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Sam on July 04, 2010, 11:03:11 PM
Flynn,
I know how you feel. I'm a little worried about doing it too.
It's a big job and you need to learn a lot to get it done.

I can't afford the $2500 up front. and I already have acquired  most of the stuff I need, except the
the Wide Band , Air and Water  sensors , Surger Tank and the Megasquirt.

My main fear is that I may not have the knowledge to get the MS built and running. I'm worried about it becoming too much  loosing interest . I don;t want to bugger all the effort I have put in so far .....

I thought if you had gone down the same rout, I could bounce Ideas off you . It would help with my confidence level :-)
Oh well , I'll just have to plug away at it and hope it make it all come together

If you get stuck, shoot me a PM with the issues and I'll help you out.  I've got two running, one on my Rangie and one on the 24v in the GTV....