2007 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER JTS SELESPEED

Started by kingalfa, March 21, 2010, 05:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingalfa

Hello people,

I am looking at purchasing a 2007 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER JTS SELESPEED. The transmission is: 6 speed Sequential Manual Auto Clutch & it is the 4 cylinder Premium Unleaded Multi-point injected 2.2L.

I was wanting everyones honest opinion on this vehicle? What are the issues that this vehicle has? I have been told that the transmission is not reliable at all!

All feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sean Paul.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Kingalfa,

If you have a bit of a look around the forum, you will see lots of opinions on Selespeed.
In summary, its ok until things start to go wrong.  Then it becomes quite expensive.
Apart from that, the Spiders are great cars.

Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

ProvaRacing

There is alot of nonsense spoken and written on "all" selespeed by people lacking omega 3 intake at youth. The largest number of issues related to selespeed come from the older 156 (98-03) that were first to come with it and suffered from the need for constant adjustment and some reliablilty shortfalls - sadly these were expensive. Then the first 147 (01-04) although to a lesser degree had their share of  concerns though there are some cases of over 150-200K km without problems.

By MY05 147 (2005-on) the system has had "x" generation improvement and has no inherent problems but like all mechanical devices if it isn't serviced, maintained and respected you can have a failure. I can tell you they don't require adjustment except after initial bedding in of clutch when new after than no problem.

By 159/Brera/Spyder they are latest version and have no known failings in the selespeed. But as per all cars (to ensure they haven't been abused) stick to newer, low kms cars that have a Alfa dealer history and you shouldn't have selespeed nightmares suffered from old generation cars from 12yrs ago that created most of the stigma.

But in all cases when they work they are GREAT.

PS What adds to the problem is cars that are patched with second hand parts and claimed to have replaced parts...the prospective owner thinking it's new only have a failure. If it doesn't have a dealer invoice for the parts ignore the claims.

John Hanslow

Having been deficient in a few aspects in the past,  I have always been a bit hesitant recommending selespeed as several mechanics well versed in the field have recommended a manual gearbox over selespeed.  This is due to expense in repairs and also inconvenience due to poor mechanical experience.

That said I like your brief summary and the confidence you have in your later model Alfa 147 Selespeed "x" gen.

QuotePS What adds to the problem is cars that are patched with second hand parts and claimed to have replaced parts...the prospective owner thinking it's new only have a failure. If it doesn't have a dealer invoice for the parts ignore the claims.

A good all round comment .
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

wankski

i say drive it first...

I drove a new 159 at the dealer in brighton and it was soooooo bad it's laughable... i can dig up my post at alfagtv6.com...

on auto mode it held 2nd gear @ 6000rpm despite not having my foot on the accelerator and even tapping the brake to give it a hint.... nothing...

the dealer in the back said "it's adaptive, give it time to get used to you"..

what rubbish...  the a4 audi we drove to them has a CVT and it adapted to me 1st time - p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y.

possible it was a bad unit, but my posting on that site received replies of similar experiences....

that and the plastic on the wheel and stitches falling out the chairs was so bad it was horrifically funny... $60k? nigga pls.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: wankski on March 29, 2010, 06:33:47 PM
i say drive it first...

I drove a new 159 at the dealer in brighton and it was soooooo bad it's laughable... i can dig up my post at alfagtv6.com...

on auto mode it held 2nd gear @ 6000rpm despite not having my foot on the accelerator and even tapping the brake to give it a hint.... nothing...

the dealer in the back said "it's adaptive, give it time to get used to you"..

what rubbish...  the a4 audi we drove to them has a CVT and it adapted to me 1st time - p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y.

possible it was a bad unit, but my posting on that site received replies of similar experiences....

that and the plastic on the wheel and stitches falling out the chairs was so bad it was horrifically funny... $60k? nigga pls.

There you go Sean Paul.  Some great advice on purchasing a 2007 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER JTS SELESPEED.  ???
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

wankski

Quote from: alfagtv100 (Biggus) on March 29, 2010, 10:47:29 PM
There you go Sean Paul.  Some great advice on purchasing a 2007 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER JTS SELESPEED.  ???

very funny... that was in reference to the OP's question:

"I was wanting everyones honest opinion on this vehicle? What are the issues that this vehicle has? I have been told that the transmission is not reliable at all!"

same drivetrain, specifically g/b, is it not?

Maybe new to the board, but not exactly new to alfas.