Just got a 33 in SA

Started by Brooke, March 01, 2010, 10:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke

Hi Guys,
New to this forum, Just purchased an Alfa 1985 33 Ti (clover) yesterday, drove it 60km home on 3 cylinders, and i love it to bits.
Anyhow, I am sure you will hear from me more as my knowledge of Alfa's and Boxer engines is zilch!

Frank Musco

Hot chocolate, I like it. Is that an original colour?

Drove one for many years, (Red) and loved it to.

Congratulations

Brooke

Haha, sorry, that was me being cheeky with photoshop ;) ;) ;)

How did you find your 33? I bought this with a couple of problems, what alfa doesnt?

The engine misfires pretty badly when doing anything apart from idling (defiantly not 105hp)

Checked plugs and leads, still no luck, what else is easy to check before sending it to the mechanic?

Frank Musco

Nice photoshop job, you got me.

My 33 was excellent. Owned it for about 6 years. Problems, Not really, only problem was the first week I drove it, the battery went flat, no go. Charged the battery and no more problem?? Probably left the radio on. Thought I also had ignition problems, but quickly learned about rev limiting rotor button. Although apparently your not supposed to rev them passed 6500 rpm???

Odometer never worked but had speed and revs working fine. Try Alfa wrecker, cheap. Also saw a complete speedo cluster on ebay recently.

The engine misfiring apart from idle.
     1. Checked all spark side of things, for example swaping the coil and module, cap, rotor button, if its part of your spares. Sounds like something could be failing under load.
     2. Check rotor button, some have built in rev limiter which can give the problem you describe.
     3. The weber carbies can block the idle and main jets. Very easy fix. Remove airbox and carby 'hats', then you can see the jets which you unscrew and blow out and replace. Some do this running, but dont, be patient. Once removed, the jets pull apart, then blow out with compressed air and replace. Dont remove carbys or dissassemble at this stage. Weber carbys are excellent once you learn how to maintain and tune. Tuning is actually quite difficult, requires alot of patience. Check the accelerator pumps are not leaking. If split, visible leak on bottom area of carbs, also no pump causes misfire from initial lean out.

Gear change problems in second and then third are common place. Yes, it has worn 2nd gear synchro and the shift ring which contacts the synchro and engages the gear. Change the gearbox oil and put up with it until third starts to slightly grate. Very expensive fix. More than what you would have bought it for. 

Squeaky engine, hopefully fan belt, so get an old bar of soap or candle and rub on working face of belt. DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH ENGINE RUNNING. Buy new belt.
If noise is still there it may be the cam belt tensioners. This requires immeadiate attention as a failed idler bearing spits off the cam belt and its goodnight, party over. ( bent engine valves) I have always changed cam belts regardless of what the cars history is. Cheap insurance.

Check the fuel lines for leaks. I did have this problem on my 33, one day started leaking while driving.

Not sure about windows. Does it have an alarm/immoboliser, could be associated???

Happy motoring.

Brooke

Excellent, thanks for that...What do the coil and module, cap, and rotor button look like? Where do I find them, I am having trouble downloading the workshop manual, cuts out half download

Brooke

Just removed the air filter and webber caps, it seems that the right side jets spray fuel just fine, when you go to test the jets on the left, they only trickle out fuel. Yes, I am giving it a full acceleration pump. Recorded the difference here:

Could this be causing it to miss like this: