75 TS cutting out

Started by 116gtv, February 25, 2010, 09:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

116gtv

I've got a 75 TS that cuts out between 2-4k rpm once the engine is warmed up.. problem is less pronounced up to 80 degree temp. Then, in heavy traffic, it climbs to about 90/95 and it it really hesitates and stumbles and it also feels down on power..
PO changed plugs, leads, fuel filter/pump and had injector service etc.. Swapped the AFM today for another used one and it wouldnt idle. Still cutting out as before..

Any pointers please?

MD

Best way to fix that problem is to sell it me !!  :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

116gtv

yeah, you'd like her as a track toy for sure - i know you're looking ;D

MD

Ha haaa, so true !

Well I suppose if you aren't gonna take the simple solution, I better do the honourable thing and help you out like a good Queenslander should .

Ok so your problem is heat related and probably load related at the same time. Regrettably you will need to spend some bucks to sort this out.

My suggestion is to hook up with a mechanic in a dyno shop. You need to run the car on the dyno under load and build up heat so as to cause the fail. When this happens under test, you will be able to diagnose whether it's ECU inputs, ignition low tension/high tension, fuel issues etc. Without this process you may get lucky, you may not.

My current service vehicle is a dedicated LPG unit. The engine just died in the middle of nowhere. I let it cool down and tried to restart it. It started but ran weird. Called in at the next town. Put it on a dyno and identified a failing ignition coil on one plug. (it has 6). The big help here was the dyno.

Hope that helps.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

116gtv

there were a couple of TSs lately on ebay in town that went cheap.. lucky i didnt have any space left.. ;)

Considering this one has new plugs, leads, dizzy caps and alfa mechanic has been over it more than once, my guess was the AFM... I may as well swap the ECU. I learned on the BB that its not uncommon to play up eventually and i've just hit 222222 kms on the speedo.. maybe she's had enough ::)

Great point about a dyno run..didnt think of that of course.. will try that if the ECU swap is no good. thank you, sir!