Removing the Aircon?

Started by prova, February 15, 2010, 10:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prova

Hi Guys just wanting some advice about removing the complete aircon system from my 85 GTV (2.0). Is it possible to remove the aircon radiator by removing the front grill or do I have to take the radiator out? Also the dash part of it worries me as well - is it easy enough to remove the ventilation panel inside the car to get at the aircon controls, etc?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

SimonR

I removed the aircon from my 1984 GTV and didnt take out the grill, I just unbolted radiator top bolt and pulled radiator a few inches towards motor and then removed the aircon radiator part (only 4 small bolts) and then pushed back the radiator and rebolted etc. I only removed all engine bay parts of aircon system (ie the most heavy parts) and still havent looked under the Dash yet until I really need to.

Regards Simon 
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

kartone

Prova, I removed ALL aircon related components.
The bits & pieces inside the car can be removed by first removing the center console and then the radio/ventilation pod; careful to disconnect the heater core & aircon hoses / pipes and electrical connections; once the pod is out you have easy access to remove aircon core. I replaced the aircon switch with a rotary switch, while retaining the aircon knob, to operate the auxilary engine cooling fan (provides additional cooling when "parked" on the M1). 
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

MD

How environmentally green are you?

Anyone who is dismantling these old air con systems needs to know that they contain R12 refrigerant gas which is now a banned substance and to comply with legislation the system should be de-gassed at an authorised workshop and not vented to atmosphere. A big no no.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

prova

Thats something that I had thought about. I dont think my aircon has been used in the last 15 years do you think it would still hold this gas? Otherwise I will get my system emptied properly first before I do anything - very good point MD!

kartone

On ANY italian car up to the late 80's A/C was an after-thought, no cars prior to this period were designed with A/C in mind that is why they never worked properly.
Most systems leaked gas within the first 3-4 years due to vibrations and or proximity to heat sources, first hand experience with GTV6 split-dash, Alfetta sedan and now 80GTV.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

prova

So what do you reckon full, half full or empty now?

MD

If it isn't making any chill, chances are it has lost the refrigerant charge. If you want to be sure, I would recommend visiting an air conditioning workshop who would likely charge you nothing just to see if its got pressure. If there's no pressure, you can take it appart. If there is, they can evacuate it and dispose of it according to proper procedures.

While you are there, you could possibly enquire on the cost of rebuilding the system with contemporary parts. At least you will know what you are in for. Expect around 2 G's.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

prova

My cars just for fun - would not use it on really hot days - would prefer to get rid of the 50kgs - most of it sitting so far forward in the engine bay. Thats two and a half bags of cement! (also around 5% of the cars gross weight) You guys that have removed the system did you notice a difference in the handling or acceleration of your car? Thanks MD for all of your advice I suspect that my system is gas less as 'it does nothing to cool anything'!

kartone

Saw a marked improvement in engine cooling
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Mile Jurcic

Hey Ren,

As per MD's comments earlier I hear the gases arent too good for the enviroment and your lungs wont appreciate them either.

Probably wouldnt hurt to check with someone local to the potential dangers.

Be interesting what the outcome is as i was only thinking about removing mine also.

Cheers
Mile

kartone

I lived in the US where the AC venting procedures are very strict, it all started back in 1994.
It is all relative, I would not worry too much about a minimal discharge of freon, after all most of us are driving cars with carburators !
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

prova

Well I started taking out the aircon system today. Firstly I pressed the release valve on the rear of the 'pump' and guess what? - no pressure at all - completely empty - so out its coming. Struggling with the lower chunky steel bracket below and behind the main 'pump'. I cant get it off as when I slide it back its fouling the dipstick housing - anyone got any ideas about this?
Also I have got some good space now for the oil breather tank that I bought off Ebay.

kartone

Prova, oil breather tank ? What are the benefits ?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

prova

Its because I have fitted Empi oval filters that I do not want to get fouled up with oily gas and to clean up the intake air.