front brakes scraping

Started by drewster71, January 31, 2010, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

I like to see Alfa owners get involved in servicing their cars. Knowing more about how it does the business helps to realise just how good Alfa engineers are at the craft and can foster a whole new respect.

There is no shame in buying a workshop manual and reading up before hand on the task ahead so you can develop some anticipation of what you are in for.Regrettably, this approach does not seem to have favour with some.

Frankly the best learning approach is to read up the manual, if it is not clear or you dont understand the terminology or procedure, by all means, ask the Forum for additional advice and clarification but do the homework first.

This is my suggestion to all Newbies and not directing it to anyone specifically on this thread.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

i know it might be stupid but i am aware of the danger that is involved. we used a ball joint remover (wedge) and a sledge hammer to keep as far as possible away from it as we could. we where not laying under the car or anything like that.

thats like me saying your not ment to speed but i know that everyone at least once or even more in their life has felt a little need for speed?? and then while speeding some how you crash.
everyone still does stupid things in there life even if they know they will get hurt.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Mat Francis

Quote"I give up!.Craig I hope you will try to stop him from hurting himself."........ "Nope, I respect Charles Darwin. Think of it as evolution in action."

Call me an arsehole, but that's quite funny.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Paul Gulliver

Quotei know it might be stupid but i am aware of the danger that is involved. we used a ball joint remover (wedge) and a sledge hammer to keep as far as possible away from it as we could. we where not laying under the car or anything like that.

thats like me saying your not ment to speed but i know that everyone at least once or even more in their life has felt a little need for speed?? and then while speeding some how you crash.
everyone still does stupid things in there life even if they know they will get hurt.

Hey Storm,

I like your logic. Did you also try this   

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2000-04.html   
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

drewster71

Hi Choder
Matey thankyou for you complete honesty I have decide to get brakes checked by mobile mechanic, I dont mind changing over shockers, waterpump etcbut yes breaks way to important.... But while im thinking i had to remove a Shocker that had snapped off at bracket got it off reasonably easy is reinstalling as easy ?

Drew

Quote from: Choderboy on February 01, 2010, 10:05:03 PM
I have just been thinking..

I think it is extremely irresponsible of people to advise someone inexperienced to work on such an important thing as brakes.
What if the poor bloke has a go (which is great by the way Drew that you want to work on your own car), doesn't bleed up the brakes or tighten something properly and then goes for a test drive and ends up wrapped around a pole?

Extreme example, but totally relevant.

Thoughts? Am I full of shit??
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

david sammartino

Wow what a topic that has evovled, get it??? Lol
just have to agree with everyone here, if he doesnt wana listen, he cant say he wasnt told. Im thinking we even start a collection to chip in for a manual, anyone interested???

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Storm_X on February 02, 2010, 06:06:40 PM

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

L4OMEO

QuoteI like bears.

So do I. But I couldn't eat a whole one.
2002 156 GTA

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 03, 2010, 02:05:28 PM
I like bears.

Very good.  Just don't google "bear" and "slang" together then.

Storm_X

Its nice to know that you think removing a torsion is like playing Russian roulette...

Like I said I was aware what was going to happen.

Storm_X

Quote from: david sammartino on February 02, 2010, 10:33:33 PM
Wow what a topic that has evovled, get it??? Lol
just have to agree with everyone here, if he doesnt wana listen, he cant say he wasnt told. Im thinking we even start a collection to chip in for a manual, anyone interested???

And what wasnt i listening to ??

Like I said I was aware what was going to happen.

Mat Francis

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

alfagtv152

Hi Chris,
What you missed is that if you had found out how to do the job properly there would be no "bang-crash".
If it goes bang when you undo it how are you going to put it back together?,dissasembly is the reverse of assembly and vice versa.Done properly you can release the Bar in a controlled and safe manner and do the reverse to put it back together carefully and safely,no sledge hammer required.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

david sammartino

The fact you have to ask what you werent listening to clearly shows you werent listening at all. I dont know what more to say, choderboy has pretty much hit the nail on the head in previous replies.