1975 2000 GT Veloce Road test

Started by w47ty, January 15, 2010, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w47ty

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 1975 200 GT Veloce. I am no mechanic (well not yet anyway)  Is there anybody out there who would be willing to come along with me on wednesday 20 Jan to Summerhill, Sydney to inspect it.  I imagine the morning would be the best time.

I would appreciate any help as I am sure there are some common or known issues that I may not know about. If there is no one who can come along I would welcome any advice as to what I should be on the look out for.

If you need any further information then let me know

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

urraco

Hi, here is a link to a previous question similar to yours .....  with answers.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=1562.msg7233#msg7233

Personally I would buy a car with a small amount of rust ( I have done this, BUT small is the important word as the cost in $$ and time to do rust repairs is large.) In saying this I should also say that before I purchased my first 105 I looked at about ten and a few of these I would not have been game to go for a test drive in they were so unsafe!  Significant rust will prevent renewal of registration.  Almost every 105 has some rust but I would avoid a car showing bubbling around the front and rear screen. Typical rust areas are, front floor, door bottoms, lower edge of front and rear guards, the sills below doors, boot floor .... around tank lip and bottom of spare wheel well, the front lip below the radiator, the front cross member.  Use a fridge magnet to check all these areas for signs of body filler (the magnet will not stick to body filler) Try to get the seller to provide a standard Safety Check Report (the one you get to renew the rego.)
Mechanically the 105 is fairly robust but if repairs are needed the costs can be large, often a second hand replacement motor , gearbox or diff is cheaper than getting the original reconditioned. The gearbox synchromesh especially on second is often faulty, this is just fair wear and tear not a sign of abuse.
Ask the seller for any service history, ask about any major repairs, accidents, etc. If you are unhappy with their response be wary. Remember that this is an old car and it will have needed some maintenance in the past, as it will in the future.
Please PM me if you need any more information.
Now
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1972 2000 GT Veloce Twin Spark
Falcon XR6 Turbo daily driver

Gone but not forgotten
1964 Morris Mini Cooper 998cc
1968 Nissan (Prince) Skyline GT
1973 Jensen Healey
1974 Lamborghini Urraco 250S

w47ty

Hey Urraco,

sorry for the late reply. thank you so much for the advice.  after taking your advice onboard and close scrutiny of the car i took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a gorgeous and amazingly rust free GTV!!!!

it is everything i could hope for in a 35 year old car!!! I hope to see more of my fellow Alfisti in the coming days, weeks, months and years :)

thanks again

cheers

chris

75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75