Oil leaks driving me crazy

Started by Mopoor, January 07, 2010, 06:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopoor

We've got a 3 litre 164 Sedan. Great car to drive but the oil leaks are driving me crazy. Fixed one at the rear of the motor; turned out to be the oil pressure sender leaking a into the valley between the heads then dribbling down the motor.
Now it's started (or maybe become more noticable) from up the front of the motor and we have a small torrent running down the motor now from that end. Trouble is everything is so tight up against the inner guard I can't see a thing to try to work out where it's coming from. And I don't want to have to drop the engine out to find and oil leak unless I absolutely have to (seems a bit excessive to me).
Anyone out there got any ideas about what's up the front end of the motor that could be causing my problems? Any help or ideas greatfully appreciated :)

dehne

i had the same prob on my 90 and it was oil sensor if you put a new sender on maybe its knackered its the only thing i can think of that would put oil in the valley
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

DAVIDT

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CAN OF OIL AND A ALFA? ..........THE CAN OF OIL DOES NOT LEAK!..................have 5 alfas if they did'nt leak, how would I  know IF something was wrong....JUST JOKING?

MD

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dehne

i am going on  where the tensioner is on the 2.5 and that would not cause it to leak in the valley
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Sheldon McIntosh

Read the original post again dehne.

dehne

ok ok maybe i should read the whole thing with the hydrolic tensioner if it works the same as the 2.5 i had mine blocked of so it will never leak again and everything else still works fine
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Mopoor

Thanks guys. Anyone recommend a good Alfa mechanic/shop to take it to?

John Hanslow

What state do you live in as your profile is incomplete in this area ?

If in Victoria, try our sponsor list, right hand side of web page. There are a few Alfa Specialaists who will be of help to you.  Otherwise check out home pages of other state clubs.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata