Spider Oil Filter !!! Ouch

Started by GregSale, January 05, 2010, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregSale

After the first service since I bought my Spider, I noticed a fee of $90 for an oil filter, which I was told is "the going rate".
OK this is my first Alfa, but after years of other Euro brands I've not seen a $90 oil filter.
Can anyone let me know if this is typical, and if there is an alternative to the original brand

Cheers
Greg
2007 Spider Black

John Hanslow

Check out our sponsors link - link on right of the club home page.  A call to Monza Motors or Maranello Pursang Motors should give you an indication of what is avaliable and price, or an alternative source of supply.

They are long term club supporters and of great value to club members.

Cheers.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

GregSale

thanks John.........will do.............appreciate the help
2007 Spider Black

dehne

hi  if the oilfilter is the same as on the 2.0ltr 156 i get them for less than $30 and they are a fiat part available from bursons auto shops and they even had them in stock
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

John Hanslow

Thats good to know Dehne as the local Autobarn aftermarket stock of such items are a bit thin.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

GregSale

Thanks for the info - the autobarn idea got me googling, and I found the 156 and 159 filters are different, but "Pheonix" do make one to suit my car (model # P0211 Xref R2602P) - just got to check on whether that kills my warranty or not (still a yr to go).
Thanks again :)
2007 Spider Black

Craig C

Dehne, for the 156 filter what brand is it and part number?

thanks
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

ProvaRacing

Hi GregSale have a read of this ACCC statement (see attached PDF at the bottom) on voiding warranty.

But for your, and others, benefit let me point out that oil, how clean it is and its delivery flow are critical to reducing wear and unneccessary mechanical failures - this we all know - but the filter (any one - eng air, oil, fuel, cabin) is a mystery for most and I can assure you they are not all alike. For a fact there are many filter media available world wide that are rubbish, pore too large, too small, insufficent media in the filter all lead to either blocking and causing the bi pass valve to divert the oil without any filtering. I know this as I was buying filter media, evaluating factories and sourcing filters around the world, with the benefit of a lab and you would be surprised the aftermarket brand names that didn't stack up.

So by all means find a more reasonably priced filter but be aware that "filters aren't filters", I would consider http://www.aresespares.com.au/index.html.

GregSale

Thanks, you make a good point, and as its 15,000 between services it needs to do a fair bit of filtering.
I checked out the website, and they dont have anything online for 159 series, so I'll give them a call
Cheers
2007 Spider Black

alan221

Quote from: GregSale on January 05, 2010, 12:39:37 PM
After the first service since I bought my Spider, I noticed a fee of $90 for an oil filter, which I was told is "the going rate".
OK this is my first Alfa, but after years of other Euro brands I've not seen a $90 oil filter.
Can anyone let me know if this is typical, and if there is an alternative to the original brand

Cheers
Greg
I think you got a good deal I had my first service only oil & Filter my bill was $425 but what can you expect from Car Salesman in overalls , I want my gear box oil changed next service so I,m expecting $500 plus ..

carjunky

I paid $64.00 at a dealer on the Gold Coast and EB spares sent one to me for 17 pounds plus about 6 pounds postage. $425 for an oil filter and oil change??? How much do they charge an hour? $200.00?

avim

colcol

Before you buy, do your research, buy only brand names that you know, for my 156 JTS, i use Daikin, that have a TUV standard which is the German Auto Quality standard, i got stung once when i was 18, i paid a days wages for a genuine Euro Filter, i could have bought 4 Ryco's for the same price, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

dehne.... no... totally different...

best best is order from UK - yer u pay shipping but if you grab a few plus commonly needed parts, you're on top... i only go genuine...

http://www.ebspares.co.uk/PNF/PNF.cfm?id=/alfa_159/22_JTS_Oil_filter_element/info.cfm&CFID=555830&CFTOKEN=8df8ce2c4aa6cdcb-6034A3FD-155D-210D-9B712B628A848A48&jsessionid=f0303dd01749344c6a7c1521374593e12296

it's only 12 quid! (17quid for v6) or 22 with housing if you crack it... 

i got all filters from alfisti.net while i was getting some parts, all included in shipping... i paid 8 euro for genuine filter vs $40 for a ryco you can never find in an auto store...pants.

wankski

ah whoops sorry did not see that - carjunky beat me to it!

yeah ship in genuine filters only!! :)

also, i hope u guys aren't waiting 15k mi before changing oil!  and if you aren't prepared to do it yourself, don't complain about the price!! seriously guys, it's simple to change oil - using top quality oil and genuine filter you're maybe up for $120... plus u learn a lot about your car and keep it topped up etc...

these cartridge style filters are much easier than the 156 v6s... no excuse!!